Monday, February 14, 2011

Mackenzie's Valentine Party

Today was Mackenzie's Valentine party at school. I have fond memories of my own childhood Valentine parties, and I was excited to get to be a part of hers today. I pray that my own children develop a wonderful set of memories from their growing up years as well. Here's Mackenzie enjoying her Krispy Kreme doughnut among other yummy things!
Here she is going through the line to get her food at the beginning of the party.

This picture is mostly just an overview of the classroom, but if you look closely to the left of the picture, you'll see Josiah sitting in a little chair playing his DS game. He was a perfect little angel at Mackenzie's class party. I was so proud of him! Usually, younger siblings are asked not to come. This time, however, for an hour long party, I opted not to ask and just to take him along. I was so incredibly proud as his behavior was far superior to several of the first graders there! LOL. He's only 4 1/2 years old. Yep, I'm bragging. No, they are not always little angels...so I'll take this opportunity to brag!

Now to brag on Mackenzie...she noticed Josiah sitting by himself playing his game. She walked quietly over to him and invited him to bring his plate and chair over to her desk. She said he could sit next to her. She had noticed that his plate of food was propped on a chair nearby, and she thought it might be easier for him to use her desk top than the chair. My momma heart melted. Totally melted. He told her, yes, he would like to sit by her. He stood up. She carried his chair. He carried his plate. They sat down together to enjoy their Valentine snacks. I almost cried. Again, I am bragging. These moments help to balance out the knock-down-drag-out fights, ya know! ;) Sigh, they are great kids and I love them dearly. I am proud to call them my two little Valentines. :)

Here's a picture of Raley, (I have to ask Mackenzie the name of the little girl and update this), and Mackenzie. Raley is the little boy she "likes." However, she informed us that when Raley proposed to her, she said no. I love it! Cracked me up. Kinda early to be proposing, don't ya think?! Such a fun story, though. Guess it boosts a little girl's confidence level anyhow.

Mackenzie and Reagan. You'll notice Mackenzie's cheeks are covered with a red rash. She has Fifth Disease, also called Parvovirus B19. (Not related to the parvo virus that is extremely harmful to animals.) Common childhood illness. No treatment needed. Highly contagious for anywhere from 7 to 20 days. That's almost 3 weeks. Get this: you are contagious BEFORE you break out with the rash. LOL. That means you are spreading it before you even know you have it! Once the rash appears, diagnosis is easily made, and you are no longer contagious. Ha. So, while you'd do a double take if she walks by, you're really at no risk of catching anything now. ;)
She did have the classic mild runny nose, complains of headache, general complaint of not feeling well, etc, leading up to the appearance of the rash, but how in the world would anyone recognize those vague symptoms as Fifths Disease until that classic lacy patterned rash appears! The rash spreads from the face to the neck, chest, back, and arms following that lacy pattern. Things like stress or heat can flare the rash up brighter, and the rash may continue to come and go for a few weeks, even though she is no longer contagious.
Now, we're just watching Josiah to see if he gets it. Something like 50% of kids get it. Once you've had it, your body will have antibodies and will never get it again in the entire lifetime unless you're immunocompromised. That's nice.
Mackenzie was embarrassed about it, but I think she'll be just fine! I told her to tell her friends that she'll be just fine and she is not contagious. She was pleased that only one friend asked about it today, and two teachers asked about it.
Okay, enough about Fifth's Disease. We had a GREAT day! We are thankful for our health.
I am thankful that I got to attend Mackenzie's Valentine party, and I am looking forward to Josiah's tomorrow.
Happy Valentine's Day!!!
(Now, I'm signing off to spend the rest of my Valentine's Day with my Valentine...David!)

3 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

you are right, it is so nice when the "nice" moments come out..makes all the not so nice ones a little more manageable. taylor can relate...she was so embarrassed when she had HSP and worries all the time that she will get it again...i wish you could only get HSP once. hope josiah doesn't get it.

Cindy said...

Such sweet kids, those two! I loved that story! :)

Salza Family said...

Brag away!!!! You have beautiful (inside and out) children!