Sunday, September 12, 2010

What a day!

For David's birthday last year, I intended to take him for a helicopter ride over the Smokey Mountains. The weather did not cooperate, however, so we postponed the flight. A year later, I decided it was high time for his present! ;)
On another note, for those of you who know the Robertson Family, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Kenny Robertson, a dear family friend, passed on from this world on August 31, 2010. He was 35 years old, just 3 months younger than David. They were friends since 4th grade. We visited his family in September 2003, while he was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, as a marine for our military. We never expected to get the phone call a week and a half ago from our families saying that his helicopter crashed, killing all 3 on board. He flew for a medical evacuation company in Arkansas. He was flying, and as best as people can tell at this point, the helicopter came apart in the air. Rotor blades were found a great distance from the actual crash site. Medical gases were on board, and likely caused the explosion that also took place. The two other crew members, a flight nurse and a paramedic, also died that Tuesday morning in route to rescue another person. Kenny is leaving behind his precious wife, Angie, a dear friend of mine, as well as their 3 children, Kale, age 9, Abby, age 7, and Archie, age 4 or 5. I mention this in lieu of the helicopter ride we took today. I would like to ask for everyone who reads this blog to please pray for our dear friends, the Robertsons. We are thankful that Kenny's life was lived for the Lord. I pray that his family receives the strength, peace, and comfort they need.
Here we are after the ride was finished!
Zoomed out so you can see the whole helicopter.

Mackenzie with her headset on enjoying the ride.

Josiah with his headset on enjoying the ride.

David took this picture of the kids and me. We were all in the backseat. I insisted that the birthday boy ride in the front with the pilot! :)

Above is a picture of Mount LeConte. Gorgeous views. Perfect weather. Visibility something like 70 miles. Amazing.

My man, enjoying the ride.

More scenic views of God's amazing creation.

My little man, all buckled in and enjoying his headset.

Two very excited kids!

This is my favorite picture of David. Isn't he handsome?! :)

Two precious kids during the flight.

My beautiful girl.

The view of Lake Douglas on our return trip. Did I mention it was a gorgeous day?

This is my favorite of the kids. Mackenzie and Josiah both figured out how the headset worked about half way through the flight. They were hilarious having a conversation between the two of them that all of us could hear as we flew. They LOVED flying. What a fun experience and neat memory for us all. Happy Birthday to my precious husband. I love you, and I always will. I am thankful that God directed our paths together. I am so thankful for you. May God bless you each and every day.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

So sorry to hear about your friends. What a tragedy. I'll remember the family in my prayers.
What a fun looking trip!!!! All four of you are just beaming in your pictures. Looks like David enjoyed his birthday present in that shot of him in the front of the helicopter. The pictures of the mountains are breath-taking. We certainly live in a beautiful place, don't we?
Fun post.:)

XXXX said...

April, so sorry about your friend. Hugs and Prayers...

On a side note, the helicoptor ride looked fun!

Ginger said...

Tragic story about your friends. Prayers for that family.
What a fun birthday present! It looked really beautiful. East TN is just such a gorgeous place.

Jared & Karen said...

What a fun trip for your family. I'm so sorry to hear about the tragic death of your friend. That family is blessed to you have guys there to help hold them up in this difficult time.

Cindy said...

What a fun birthday present...for all of you! And how brave of you to go in light of your friend's tragic experience in his helicopter. What a loss! So sorry to hear about that.