Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mackenzie's Pierced Ears!!!

My Little Girl, or should I say, My Big Girl, got her ears pierced today!!! After over six months of begging, I finally gave in to her persistent request to get her ears pierced. I wanted to be sure she understood what she was doing, what it would feel like, and the aftercare required. She did. Therefore, we went to Claire's in the mall today. The pictures below tell the story, and capture the emotions, quite well. Sitting so big and tall in the chair, ready to begin!

Getting her ears marked and ready.
Ear #1.
Ear #2. (Notice the lone tear slipping down her right cheek. She is still smiling, while the tear rolled down, saying, "I'm not crying, Mommy, I'm laughing." Bless her little heart. This is the part where I wanted to cry for her as I know she was trying to be brave through the pain.)
Still smiling, through the tears, with a face begging to be told that it is finished. It was. (She was still saying, "I'm not crying, I'm happy." Poor thing.)
You can almost feel the relief that it is all finished. Note that one glistening tear shimmering on her face!
Aahhh. Now comes the enjoyment...seeing herself in the mirror for the first time with pierced ears.
A proud and pleased Mackenzie! :)
My precious Mackenzie.
It was worth it and she is pleased. She later admitted to only a little pain, but not much! She could not wait to tell all our relatives that she got her ears pierced. We made many, many phone calls today. If you did not get a call and are reading this, no worries...your call may still be coming! Or, feel free to call us...she LOVES to hear how surprised and impressed everyone is about her new earrings. She chose the prettiest ones the store had to offer: pink sparkly flowers! She'll be wearing them for six weeks and then getting to change them just in time for her 4th Birthday! She had just wanted to get her ears pierced while she was still 3, and she did it!


10 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow, what a brave girl! I can't believe that she handled is so well. I thought they usually did them both at the same to avoid the freak-out-leave-the-story-with-only-one-earring problem. The fact that she sat so still for the second after she knew what was coming is just flat out wowing me. She is one tough cookie!

Sara said...

Laura's response was, "It hurts, mommy. I don't want to get my ears pierced!!" Atleast I have awhile till she wants to do this.

Tell Mackenzie we are very proud of how brave she was!! Look forward to seeing her sparkly ears.

BTW..M looks so big...has she grown by leaps since we've left. My goodness..even Laura said that M looked bigger!

Ginger said...

What a very brave girl!!! She is so beautiful, April. I agree with Sara- she looks so big and growny!!

Shellie Salza said...

Sweet pictures that captured the moment! She is so big, brave and BEAUTIFUL!

TexasNeals said...

i love laughter through tears. those pictures were too precious! i wanted suzannah to get her ears pierced so badly, but she was too scared. so i got into the habit of asking her if she wanted to get her ears pierced every time we passed a clair's. well, one day she pulled a fast one on me and said yes. by that point i wasn't prepared and chickened out!!! ME!?!?! silly mommy. we decided to make her wait....till mommy was ready. ;)
mackenzie is so beautiful, april. she looks so grown up w/ those pretty earings. such a big girl!

Sara said...

I am so impressed with Mackenzie's determination. What a mature way to handle something that she knew would hurt, yet was willing to go through the pain. The pictures are incredible. I know you are so proud of your big girl!

Cindy said...

I am amazed at what a brave girl Mackenzie is! Oh my goodness! I was not that brave until I was 11, and I think I only got them pierced because my 8-year-old sister was and I didn't want to be shown up by her! ha ha ha!

Mackenzie, you look lovely! April...you made it through!

Allison said...

I loved looking at those pics of Mackenzie. What a big brave girl she is! I will be sure to look for her at church tomorrow to see those beauties!

Melanie said...

What a great post! Mackenzie looks especially pretty! You did a great job with all of the pictures, I felt like I was there!

Kim said...

That is very brave! Congratulations, Mackenzie!
Kennedy can't wait to get her ears pierced!