Friday, November 27, 2009

Our Week

Our week began with the arrival of Granna and Z-Pa on Monday for Thanksgiving week. Uncle Zac joined us on Tuesday, and we've had a great week. Tuesday, November 24, was Josiah's half birthday. I cannot believe that he is already 3 1/2 years old, and yet in some ways he seems so much older than 3 1/2! He is counting and saying his ABC's all the time now. He loves to count to ten in Spanish. He is able to legibly write his name. He loves to play with gadgets and anything that transforms, like bakugans. He loves things that go, like cars and balls, and enjoys playing computer games and watching PBS Kids. He goes to sleep at 7:00pm, same as Mackenzie. He wakes up between 5:30 and 6:30am as he only requires 10 1/2 hrs of sleep per night! (Mackenzie still requires almost 12 hrs per night!) He loves school and all his friends at school. He can lay it on thick with his perfect manners, complete with yes ma'ams and no sirs and lots of hugs and kisses; he can also demonstrate a great lack of manners complete with a rude tone of voice. He certainly keeps us on our toes these days!!! He is an affectionate little boy, and we love him dearly. He weighs 34.5 lbs and is 39.5 inches tall.
He enjoyed his half birthday celebration with Granna and Z-Pa. He even got the chocolate dinosaur cake he requested! Thanks, Granna and Z-Pa, for making his half birthday a special one.

Here's the first ever chocolate pie that I made from scratch! I used my momma's crust recipe, and my Granny Long's chocolate pie filling recipe. I let everyone choose whipped cream or Redi Whip to top their piece of pie! I was kinda proud of how it turned out!

After enjoying a Thanksgiving meal (and that chocolate pie), we went to The Fantasy of Trees. I love this as it benefits Children's Hospital, which I'm kinda partial, too. ;) The kids sat in Santa's lap and I got our traditional picture. I'm so happy with how it turned out! The kids told Santa what they want for Christmas, and we enjoyed making our annual hand print potholders and thumbprint ornaments. (Josiah told Santa he wants a light saber and a toy motorcycle for Christmas, and Mackenzie told Santa she wants a swim suit, Barbie doll, and Dora Saves the Mermaid DVD and Dora Dance to the Rescue DVD.)

Both kids enjoyed the train and put put golf at The Fantasy of Trees, too. We've had a great week, full of activities. I have so much to be thankful for...that could be a whole other post! For now, I caught the blog up with some pics and our latest activities.
Also, Mackenzie is 38.5 lbs and 44.25 inches tall. She is now 5 years and 3 months old. As I tucked her in earlier this week, she began asking questions about Grannie Horn (her great, great, grandmother who died when I was 18 years old). I enjoyed telling her about my own Thanksgiving memories at Great Grannie Horn's house during my own childhood. She asked one question after another and we ended up having a terrific conversation about death, faith, and Heaven. Her questions struck me as deep from a five year old. One of her questions was, "Mom, since you and Dad are older than me, does that mean that you'll die before me?" Again, the answer was lengthy and in depth, but her response was, "I want you and me to die together, Momma, because I need to be able to see you, talk to you, and touch you at least once every day." She melted my heart. Such a sweetie. I pray that some of what we talked about regarding faith, death, Jesus, and Heaven sunk in!
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!!!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Sweet post, April! And you indeed got a great Santa picture there. That's awesome! Glad you all had such a great week.

Cindy said...

I haven't taken the girls to Fantasy of Trees yet. Seems like the timing never works out right for us to get there. I have taken several classes there for field trips in the past and loved seeing the wonder through the kids' eyes. Hopefully I'll get the girls there before they are teenagers!:)
We had chocolate pie for Thanksgiving also. That is our tradition with Thanksgiving and Christmas. We're not big on the Pumpkin pies or Pecan pies in our family.
Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving week. We've missed you guys. Hope you are all well.