Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Sweet Kids

On Monday morning while I was helping Mackenzie get up, dressed, and ready for school, Josiah came up the stairs with a half opened package from under our Christmas tree. He had spent several days asking to open that one package early. I kept telling him that we should wait until closer to Christmas. I guess he just couldn't wait any longer, but in the middle of opening the present (without permission) he decided maybe he should ask! So, in the dark of the early morning, Josiah came upstairs with the half opened package to ask if he was allowed to open it now. Ha! I asked him if he had already started opening it, to which he replied an honest, "yes." Then I asked him if the package was to him. He said with excitement, "It says, To Josiah From Mackenzie!" I told him since it was from Mackenzie, he needed to go ask her if he could open it early. "Hooray!" he yelled as he ran passed me and into Mackenzie's room. He used his best manners and sweetest voice to ask permission from Mackenzie, who was even more excited than he was! She answered yes and watched eagerly with a huge smile on her face while he opened his package. He tore the paper off and then took the lid off of the shoe box. Peering down inside he saw a toy gun with a target. He was thrilled and she was so pleased! As I watched from the other side of the room, I could not have been a prouder Momma! Josiah belted out a huge, "Thanks, Kenzie!" and Mackenzie just beamed.

Josiah is one of the few people that Mackenzie asked to buy a Christmas present for this year. She even used her own money. I took her to the Dollar Tree, as she requested, and she found the perfect toy gun gift for Josiah. I was quite impressed that she was able to pick a gift for him that HE would like, instead of what she liked! I didn't even have to guide her towards any item; she picked completely by herself. Once home from the Dollar Tree, she just could not wait to get his present wrapped and under our tree. She hand wrote the "To Josiah From Mackenzie" all by herself. She was proud of the gift she gave, and he was delighted to receive it. Out of all the packages under the tree, he has not asked to open ANY of the others. The only one he was interested in was the one from his sister. How funny and how precious!

I pray that the kids are able to learn the true joy found in giving. I believe Mackenzie felt that joy while watching Josiah open his package in those early morning hours. I pray that they learn the art of giving and an attitude of gratitude.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Don't you just love watching siblings interact when they are being so sweet! There's nothing more precious. Your two are certainly filled with sweetness.
I know Allison talks about Josiah ALL the time. I'm glad she has such a sweet friend.

Shellie Salza said...

So sweet! I think you have a couple of keepers!!

Kim said...

Beautiful.