Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mackenzie's Five and a Half!

It is hard to believe that our Mackenzie is 5 1/2 years old today. Seriously, I don't know where the time has gone, but it has been an absolutely wonderful 5 1/2 years. We have a tradition of having half a cake for celebrating half birthdays. So that is exactly what we did as soon as we got home from school today!
The kids just could not wait! We put 5 and 1/2 candles on the cake. Mackenzie loved her heart shaped ice cream cake. Actually, we all did! :) (Josiah had a pajama day today, just in case you were wondering.)

On a separate note, my momma gave me a Bible of my very own, with my name on it, as soon as I learned to read well as a child. That happened to be when I was in first grade as a 6 year old. That has always meant so very much to me. It is a memory that stands out as I think back to learning to read and those early years. So, now that Mackenzie is reading well, I decided it was time to carry on the tradition! I picked out a purple Bible and had her name put on it in silver script. It is a complete NIV Bible in a small size, just right for her to carry. I wrote a note on the inside cover, which seemed to mean a lot to Mackenzie. David and I sat her down in the living room this afternoon to give it to her. I told her the story of my own childhood, too. She LOVED the Bible. She immediately opened it and searched for Psalms. Then she wanted to find the 23rd Psalm. She memorized the entire 23rd Psalm for school last semester. She received a 100% on that one, which impressed me! Anyways, it was precious to see her curled up on the couch with her new Bible in hand reading the 23rd Psalm!
I do pray that she will read it often and always seek answers within its pages.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Sweet, sweet face sitting there in front of her cake! What an absolutely wonderful tradition you have in celebrating those half birthdays. A whole year is like an eternity for the kids to wait in between birthdays.
I love Mackenzie's purple Bible. I'm sure your heart was overjoyed seeing her sitting there like a big girl reading.

Cindy said...

Great day! So...did you cut the cake in half? Or is it half as big as a regular cake?

We gave Will his first Bible this year for Christms...much like the one you gave Mackenzie, but green with a lizard on the front. His first "look up" was Psalm 100, and he likes showing us that he can find that one all on his own, too! It's neat.


Happy Half Birthday, Mackenzie!

April said...

Cindy T., good question! No, we don't cut the cake in half, but it is a "half cake or smaller." I would guess that this heart shaped one was actually much smaller than half a cake! Maybe it serves 4-6 people? Basically, our half a cake just means that I buy a tiny cake instead of a normal sheet cake or half sheet cake size...it's at least 1/4 sheet cake size or smaller. :) And, I love that you gave Will a Bible at Christmas!