Thursday, February 4, 2010

The things kids say...

I was completing a Shutterfly photo book (from a vacation we took almost 2 years ago!) on our computer this evening. I did it! I finished it! I just started it this week, though it had been on my mental "to do" list for quite a while. It feels GREAT to be finished. Now...I just need a good sale on photo books so that I can order it! Ha. Anyways. Mackenzie was sitting nearby and I needed input about the background color for a page in the book. I asked her which one she liked better. She told me; I agreed. As I moved on to the next page, Mackenzie announced, "Mom, do you need my appendix on anything else?" It was all I could do not to burst out laughing, which would have totally embarrassed her at this point in her life. She does not like to say or do the wrong thing, and she is very sensitive to what others think about her. Inside, I was falling apart laughing; outwardly, I managed to maintain composure. I thanked her and assured her that I would ask for her opinion on the next page, too. She paused, obviously processing the word I used and the one she used. I think she figured it out, though I never said anything more about it. Appendix...Opinion...hey, they do sound a lot alike!

As I tucked her in tonight I asked some broad questions, just to see what she would say. I try to do this occasionally, usually choosing different questions but always using broad ones. Her answers were so priceless that I am recording them here.

My first question: "Mackenzie, what is one thing you are really happy about today?"
Her response: "I'm really happy that God made you so that you could be my mommy!"
I melted. I don't know what answer I expected, but that was not it. What a compliment!

My second question: "What is one thing you are sad about today?"
Her response: "I'm really sad about all the people in the world who don't know Jesus."
Wow. I, once again, was floored by her answer. I am so thankful that church, school, and home are all working towards the same goals in her precious life. I am awed at her response.

My third question: "What is one thing you are wishing for?"
Her response: "Hmm. To loose some of my teeth!"
So funny. Several of the kids in her class are loosing their baby teeth. A lot of the kids in her class are older than she is. She wants to loose her teeth! Cracks me up. Wonder if she'll be that excited about it when it actually happens? Ha.

I totally enjoyed my time visiting with her tonight.

Earlier in the week, Josiah looked out the van window as we were driving along. He spotted the dirty snow piled on the edge of the roads. He did not miss a beat in saying, "Look at all that rotten snow!"

I cooked cornbread muffins this week. To my amazement, both kids ate and enjoyed them. Last time I made them, one of the kids...I sadly don't remember which one...peeled the paper off the muffin, took a big bite, ran to the trashcan to spit it out, and announced, "Mom! Those muffins are rotten!" I think the child was expecting something sweeter...like blueberry muffins or cupcakes! Every time I eat corn bread I think of that announcement about the muffins being rotten. Kids are so much fun. Their perspective can brighten the gloomiest of days.

Here's to hoping you all have a wonderful day with lots of laughter!

4 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so glad you recorded Mackenzie and Josiah's thoughts. So sweet! You ARE a good mom and it was so very kind for M to compliment you.

Kara said...

So funny, thanks for sharing.

I think it's a great thing to ask your kids the good as well as the bad that is going on in their lives. I plan to do the same when mine are older. It's sad how many kids can't ever name the things that make them happy.

Cindy said...

Love the "appendix" story! I guess she has had that word on her mind in the recent past!:) I know she felt so proud to give you her opinion!
Bill and I alternate putting our girls to bed at night. On the nights I put Lauren to bed I always ask her what was her favorite thing that happened that day. I love hearing her answers each time. She is such a happy little girl. She wakes up smiling and stays that way most all the time. Allison is a different story!:) I think Lauren has more of her dad's personality and Allison has more of mine!

Jared & Karen said...

So funny, endearing, and sweet. I know you are treasuring those special moments up in your heart. I think of Mary (mother of Jesus) more now that I am a mom. I seem to be "treasuring" more up in my heart. =)