Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Check-Up

Today was Mackenzie's four year old routine well child check up. We arrived. We sat down. Mackenzie had to go to the bathroom while we were still in the waiting room. No problem. I asked the nurse for a cup (knowing they would want a urine sample) and the three of us (Mackenzie, Josiah, and myself) headed into the bathroom. We were barely in that bathroom door when Josiah announced that he wanted to use the potty. Rather than wait for my assistance, my two year old boy pulled his LOADED diaper and shorts down to his ankles. Yes, folks, it was loaded with poop. Nice. He had the poop smeared clear from his bottom down to his ankles in no time flat. Great. I sat him on the toilet seat in hopes of containing the mess. By the time I had him in a fresh diaper, we had cleaned the entire lower half of his body, as well as the parts of the bathroom including the floor and toilet seat. Somehow we managed to keep his clothing clean, which is a blessing as I did not have a back-up outfit with me! After all that...Mackenzie no longer needed to go at all. That "urge" had passed. Therefore, we still needed a urine on her! Ha.

At this point we were pulled from the bathroom (we were in there awhile, you realize) directly into the exam room. I was already exhausted by this point, and the check-up had not even started yet. The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful in comparison, though Josiah was a bit wired.

Mackenzie passed the hearing and vision tests with flying colors (and had fun doing them as this was the first time!) and her urine tested normal. She weighs 31 and 1/2 lbs which puts her in the 25 % for weight. She is 40.25 inches tall, which places her in the 50 % for height. She received four shots today: Polio, MMR, Varicella, DTaP. That catches her up on immunizations until she is twelve years old! (Except for annual flu shots, of course.) She screamed as I held her down while the shots were given. She calmed down immediately once they were over. I tried to explain how terrible the diseases are in comparison to the shots. Yeah, that's the nurse in me. I did give her some sympathy, too, though! :)

We did it! We survived! That's how I felt by the time we were done. Other than Josiah's diaper incident, all went well. Ha.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks for giving me a good laugh! I feel for you, though. What an ordeal!

Sara said...

Mackenzie is tall! She must have had a growth spurt since we've seen you b/c I don't remember her being 4 inches taller than Laura!!

Sorry about the poo incident with Josiah..those are never good when you are out and about!!

Allison said...

That is a hilarious story! I can just picture you three there in the bathroom...what memories!! It was good seeing you last night at church.

Shannon said...

What is the deal with boys and poo?????? :)

Shellie Salza said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one with ridiculous poo stories! Good job keeping it together!