Monday, September 8, 2008

Friends

Avery and Mackenzie
I enjoy hearing all about Mackenzie's day when I pick her up from school. The problem is, sometimes she talks ninety-to-nothin' about the day and other times she hardly speaks at all, leaving me to wonder about it. Well, one day within the past two weeks as I picked Mackenzie up she informed me that Emma says Mackenzie is not her friend. Mackenzie told me that she is Emma's friend, but Emma says she does not like Mackenzie. I simply told Mackenzie that I am glad she is choosing to be Emma's friend, even if Emma won't be her friend.
Then I asked, "Who are your friends?" Mackenzie did not miss a beat in saying, "Avery's my best friend, Momma! She likes me and I like her, too." She went on to say that all the boys are mean except for one named Jared. "Jared's nice to me, Momma. He's my friend, too. I sit at the same table with him." So, after learning all this, I was surprised and excited when we received an invitation to Emma's 4th Birthday party at Bounce USA! We went, of course, so that I could attempt to get names and faces together.
I very quickly met Avery as Mackenzie beelined for her upon our arrival. I also met Avery's mom who was quick to exclaim, "So this is Mackenzie and you're Mackenzie's mom! We hear all about Mackenzie!" We launched into a full conversation, during which I found out that Avery tells similar stories about friendship issues as Mackenzie does, including that Mackenzie and Avery's friendship is very mutual. To watch Mackenzie, Avery, and Jared all play together at Bounce USA was a treat. Sure made me feel good about the friendships Mackenzie is forming at school. Good kids from good families. The pic I snapped of Avery and Mackenzie was taken at the party.
(I realize I need some more posts about Josiah soon...we'll see what he's up to these days and come up with a good post on him in the not-to-distant future.) :)

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'm so glad that Mackenzie has found a friend and a mutual one!! It is a relief as a parent to know they have little buddies to hang on to at school. We are still working on all that with Laura...slow slow slow....