Friday, September 18, 2009

Inservice

I received a call about a month ago regarding our annual in service at work. My manager requested that I attend, if possible. Okay, no problem. I'm excited to be included in the meetings. I like to stay current with my information as much as possible. That said, I made arrangements for Josiah (thanks, Mrs. Susan!), and while Mackenzie was in school, I headed to the meeting. Realize I'm on a PRN (as needed) basis. That means I really don't work very often. (Except for two weeks during the year while I'm working for Employee Health giving flu shots and flu mist to all the hospital employees.)

I arrived at the meeting at 8:00am. As I stood around visiting with fellow employees, our manager came in and double checked to make sure everyone was on the clock. Yep, we were all clocked in and going to get paid for attending the meeting. Pretty cushy if you ask me! Then she made sure we had all enjoyed the breakfast that was provided for us! Nice. Free food is always good. That's when we saw it.

At least a dozen girls filing in the doorway to our "locked" lobby. (We closed our doors today and had no patients scheduled at all.) They were dressed professionally in black and carrying some things. Wait. They are setting up in our lobby, making themselves quite at home. That's when our manager announced that instead of a meeting, today was a surprise day of appreciation from our management and providers to all staff. We were to enjoy manicures, pedicures, 15 minute massages set up in our exam rooms, and a free breakfast, and a free lunch, and even door prizes, too. All these luxuries while being clocked in and getting paid. One of the doctors had even written a letter of gratitude to the staff.

I am truly stunned. She had kept it a surprise from everyone for fear that someone might have chosen to not make arrangements for their kids in order to come in on a pampering day. She wanted everyone to receive the day of appreciation. I, for one, can truly say that I am appreciative! What a nice gift. What a fun day. And I know it came at a cost for our doctors and office as we were on the clock and not seeing any patients at all today. (Realize no raises were given this year in order to allow everyone to keep their jobs.) I am grateful to be included in such a fun day, and so very thankful for a wonderful job.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Wow---what a wonderful wonderful surprise!!! Glad you were able to enjoy being pampered!

Cindy said...

Wow! That's just about all I can say...wow!

Kim said...

AWESOME! I am so happy that you got to have that day, April. I know you have earned it!

Cindy said...

I think it is wonderful when people appreciate those who work with or for them. It only makes for better employees, I think. A little appreciation goes a long way and a lot of appreciate like this little treat can make a huge difference!! Glad you were a part of the pampering. You deserved it!