Saturday, June 26, 2010

Swimming Lessons & Diving Boards

We are enjoying swimming lessons this summer! We are in the middle of the two week session, and I decided it was time for a blog post. The picture below is of my little man, standing in front of the pool, ready to begin. You'll notice the diving boards are in the background, over to the right. Josiah learning to float! His nice teacher was trying to help keep the bright sun out of his face. :)
A proud little man...learning so much. He told people on the first of day lessons that his sister can swim but he can't swim without floaties so he is here to learn how to really swim! He is doing a great job of learning, too.

They use kick boards and noodles to help the children learn.

I zoomed in on the hospital, which is just beyond the pool, on the other side of the Tennessee River! Cool pic, huh?! (Go back up to the first picture to see the true distance from the pool...look just behind Josiah.)

The girl floating in the light yellow swim suit is my Mackenzie! Look at her go!!!

A close up of Josiah.

On the third day of lessons, the teacher offered for any children who wanted to jump off the diving board to come with her. Only four children went to the board. Of those four, only two actually jumped. My determined little girl was one of those two who did jump! The first time, the teacher had her jump holding on to a noodle.

The teacher was waiting in the 15 ft water as Mackenzie jumped! She looked directly at me with such a proud smile on her face after that first jump.


Then she swam, using the noodle, to the wall.

The second time she jumped was without the noodle!

You see the splash in the water in the picture below? Yep, that's my Mackenzie! You can't see her as she is under the water having just jumped off the diving board. WooHoo!

Her teacher watched as she resurfaced and swam to the edge. I'm so proud of her for getting up there and jumping without giving it a second thought!

Her teacher let her jump off the diving board one more time that day. I love picture below, where I zoomed in on her fearless jump from the diving board. She loves to swim, and she loves to excel in all that she does. I do believe she is competitive. ;) She was quite pleased to have gone off the board, even though most of her class opted out!

I am so proud of my two kiddos. They are doing a great job of listening to their teachers and learning more about swimming.

5 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

Way to go! I remember last year when my kids had the option to jump...they were in advanced classes and their option was the high dive and they both did it numerous times! Caleb was the youngest one to do and we were so proud of him. I couldn't help but notice that y'all had the same teacher we had last year. She did the older 2's group lesson and did private lessons with Madison :) She is great. Our lessons start on July 5th and the kids can't wait...Taylor is having to repeat the class she took last year b/c there isn't a more advanced class. She didn't really need to she just wants to jump off the high dive again :)

Amanda said...

Great job!!! Mackenzie is fearless! Looks like they are having a ton of fun. I gasped when I saw how big the pool is. Gracen's lessons are at a friend's house...small town.

Shellie Salza said...

I love it! They both look like little fish. And now they will be well trained little fish! Adison starts his lessons today. I can't wait!

Sara said...

So glad the kids are loving swim lessons and excelling in them! Laura is doing great in the pool this year and Grant is pretty much fearless! Keeps me on my toes! ha!

Cindy said...

Way to go, Watson kids! Swimming lessons are great...we start ours next week. :)