Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Return to the Farm!

For those of you who read the first post, I hope you'll enjoy this follow up on the farm! Mackenzie, Josiah, and I went back to the farm thinking the blackberries or blueberries might be ripe and ready to pick. We were wrong; they will not be ready for a couple more weeks. However, we were delighted to discover that the sour cherries were ripe! I had never picked cherries before, so this was a treat. The kids absolutely loved picking the cherries.
Afterwards, the kids insisted that we visit the goats. Oh, yes, the "mean" sheep and "pet" rooster are still there, My Friends. After our first experience IN the pen, I decided this experience would be more enjoyable OUT of the pen.
Therefore, the pictures immediately above and below this text are of my two precious kids attempting to enjoy the animals from the safe side of the fence! The kids truly wanted to go inside the pen, even with fresh memories of being butted by the sheep last time.
Being the great Mom and wife that I am, I told them we could most certainly all go inside the pen...AFTER Daddy got off work and joined us! :)
While David bravely cuddled with the rooster that demands to be held or it will peck you, (and I do mean seriously peck you...that thing drew blood from my toes last time!) the kids and I were able to safely enter and enjoy the animals! (Yes, it really is a rooster, though I, too, think it looks more like a chicken.)
This is one very tolerate goat.
And one last picture to end our afternoon on the farm.


10 comments:

Shellie Salza said...

You're so brave! I'm impressed that you went back. Glad it was a fun experience.

Nicole said...

It's a silky rooster! I used to have a hen and a rooster. They are interesting critters, that's for sure. Mine used to love rolling in mud after a rain storm. My rooster was an attention hog too; wanted to be held all the time.

Holly Aytes said...

I am glad the 2nd trip went better. Where is this farm...I want to take the kids. I will know to take someone with me to control the rooster :) The kids love getting to pick things and sadly our garden isn't producing anything yet though we should have cucumbers by the end of the week (they won't be big enough to eat though for a few more days) and tomatoes in a few weeks.

Ginger said...

Love the picture of David holding the rooster! How were the cherries? I would like to take the boys out there before we leave, but don't know if we will have the chance. We have gone out there for pumpkins the past 2 years.

Cindy said...

You're so funny! Good thing you brought David along this time.

Now that I think of it, I had a pet rooster for a short while as a kid, too. His name was Charlie...once we discovered his rooster lungs, he was no longer welcome to live in a pen in our basement...so he went back to the farm!

We'd love to join you for berry-picking when it's time...maybe we can make it a group thing!

Also, love the last shot of the kids walking down the path. I took a very similar one of Will and Sam at Cades Cove last fall.

Sara said...

Glad you had better success this time around. Thanks for taking care of Jim last night!!

Sara said...

I'm glad there weren't any injuries this time! It looks like your knight in shining armor did his job well. I'm also impressed that your kids were so thrilled to come back after being butted by the mean goat. They are so awesome!

TexasNeals said...

The picture of the cherries is so beautiful! They look very yummy! :)
I think it's hilarious that you decided to go back in. Glad it was better this time around. ;)

Melanie said...

So since there is so much interest in this farm, perhaps we could take a group "field trip"! I would love to go too! Then we could take turns with this famous rooster.

Alicia said...

Those cherries are beautiful! What a fun day for the kiddos :)