Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Swimming Lessons!

Mackenzie is taking swimming lessons at Court South. Ian, her instructor, has been a great fit for Mackenzie's personality! I am quite pleased, and this is only the second of six lessons! She started yesterday, and I snapped these pictures today during her second session. Look at her go! She is swimming to the ladder in this picture.
Ian is teaching Mackenzie different swimming strokes. She has learned the breast stroke and back stroke, though she is still using the square floaty, or Ian's assistance, to stay afloat as she swims...I'm guessing that by the end of four more lessons she will be swimming unassisted!
Here I come!
Notice Ian's hand...he is patting the water to his right. That is where he is asking Mackenzie to jump. She did it, too! She jumped in, not to Ian, but next to him and attempted to surface on her own. He is working on teaching her to tread water. She tried it several times in a row today. Way to go, Mackenzie! She really is a brave little 3 1/2 year old. She listens well to instructions and sticks her tongue out in concentration as she tries to do exactly as told. Ian has been surprised by how much progress they have made in such short time.
Yes, I am a proud Momma!

8 comments:

Sara said...

Yay, Mackenzie!!! It must be so exciting to watch her enjoy learning how to swim. It sounds like she is a fantastic student. I look forward to seeing what she's learned to do! She'll be swimming the length of the pool before you know it.

Holly Aytes said...

swim lessons are such a great idea. my parents had us take them when we were kids and mine have taken then too. in fact none of the 3 have ever used the arm float things. is josiah taken them too?

April said...

No, Josiah is not taking them. We have Mackenzie in private lessons and I did not want him to distract from her learning! As soon as he's mature enough to listen and follow directions, like she is now, I'll be most happy to enroll him, too! :)

Nicole said...

How fun! I still remember my lesson from when I was three! I hope she will too.

Cindy said...

That's great! I hope Will will be as an enthusiastic a swimming student as Mackenzie is...he's a bit of a side hugger. ;)

Amanda said...

First of all, Happy Birthday, April! I hope you have a great birthday with those beautiful kids! Second, way to go Mackenzie! I'm so glad she's enjoying lessons and doing so well! Thirdly, I remember doing puff paint t-shirts at your house for sleepovers! I think I still have mine in my closet at my parent's house. It says "I love Matt!" and of course an occasional tic-tac-toe board. Looks like the kids had so much fun. What a great Mama!

Ginger said...

I am so proud of Mackenzie, yet it does not surprise me. She seems like a brave little girl!! As Cindy said- my Will is a bit of a "side hugger" too!!!

Melanie said...

How great for Mackenzie! I plan on getting Carter in lessons sometime in the next year too. It's good to know I will have some others to get advice from!