Thursday, June 19, 2008

Swimming Lesson Update

Today was the next-to-last swimming lesson for Mackenzie with Ian at CourtSouth. What did Mackenzie do today? Well, she (per Ian's instruction) jumped into the swimming pool (with small square foam block "floaty" attached to her back in order to maintain a horizontal rather than vertical position in the pool) and swam the entire length of the pool all by herself! As in, no one else was in the pool at all. Just Mackenzie. Josiah and I cheered from the sidelines when she finished. Ian beamed at her as he praised her accomplishments.

He was quick to say that she is the youngest (3 1/2 yrs) one he has taught that was actually able to swim the full length of the pool at the end of 5 thirty minute lessons. He says she is a very strong swimmer, even though she is the skinniest little girl he's ever taught! He has trouble keeping the floaty on her as it tends to fall off her little body. He worked with her more today on swimming without the floaty, which she is perfectly willing to do, but it is hard for her to breathe as she swims. She'll hold her breath and swim under water for about 4-6 feet, but then someone needs to help her come up for air before she can continue. He says she is not quite ready for the synchronized breathing while swimming lesson. She has certainly got the gist of it, and I am so very proud of her!!!

Also, Josiah went and watched today. Actually, he did not want to just watch. He wanted to know, "Is it my turn now, Momma?" After the third time of him asking that, Ian let Mackenzie rest while he took Josiah for his "first" swimming lesson. Josiah loved it and may be more ready than I originally thought...perhaps by the end of the summer Ian will have taught Josiah more about swimming, too!

For now, I'm very pleased that I have two eager learners. Mackenzie knows correct swim strokes and kicks and is able to use them to get some good speed as she directs herself through the water. I am thankful for the opportunity to see that my kids learn to swim. The bonus for me is that I can safely take both kids swimming by myself without cumbersome life jackets! Ian says that as Mackenzie develops her lower back muscles while swimming, she'll be able to keep her body in a horizontal position in the water rather than vertical. So, of course, we must go "practice" swimming, right? :) I fore see some fun days at the poolside this summer. Now, it's just too bad that I don't have that same body description as Mackenzie-HA. ;)

3 comments:

Erika said...

Sounds like you have two little fishies! I know you are relieved to have a little more safety on your trips to the pool! Excellent job M & J!! :)

Cindy said...

Great job, Mackenzie! Sounds like she's a natural...you may soon find yourself one of those swim team moms that goes to the pool every single day in the summer!! ;)

Sara said...

I'm so proud of Mackenzie!! I know you are pleased with her progress. Now it is Josiah's turn to show her up!!