Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sentences!

While running errands today, Mackenzie asked for an ink pen. We didn't think too much about the request as she loves to draw and write. Upon arriving at our destination, Mackenzie announced that she wanted me to read what she wrote. Okay. So, we sat down together to read her story. I was totally shocked when I saw this: Wow! I know she can easily read sentences with several words, including four letter words now. But this is one of the first times that I've seen her create a sentence on her own (no prompts, no suggestions, no coping, etc). She did this in the car seat while the van was moving. I'm so excited! Two sentences. Easy to read. Totally on her own. She even remembered the punctuation, and we did not even spell words for her. Yep, I'm proud! :) Thanks for indulging me while I brag on my little girl. She's only 4 1/2, by the way. ;)
Way to go, Mackenzie! I'm continually amazed by the things you are able to do and your motivation to learn. Keep up the good work, sweet girl.

10 comments:

Cindy said...

It's fun to watch the development of of reading and writing and how intertwined they are. Good stuff! I'm impressed with the punctuation in particular...keen kid, that Mackenzie!

Kim said...

That is impressive!! Go Mackenzie!

Sara said...

She is just really on a roll with reading and writing! That is great! Laura is forever writing words these days and asking how to spell certain ones. Drives me bonkers sometimes, but also glad she is interested in writing!

Shellie Salza said...

I am SO impressed!

Erika said...

That is amazing! What a bright little girl!

Vicky said...

I know you are proud of her. That's quite an accomplishment!!

Allison said...

Mackenzie learned everything she knows from her Ms Allison and Mr Drew in class at church;)

Cindy said...

How fun for Mackenzie to be writing. That is amazing to watch! I too am impressed with the punctuation mark at the end. I remember as a teacher I would have kids who would put periods EVERYWHERE or no where at all. Glad Mackenzie has that straight in her little head! What an amazing little girl!

Anonymous said...

Great job Mackenzie!!

Hannah said...

That's wonderful Mackenzie! A girl after my own heart.