Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Middle of the Night Kindergarten

We had an early start to our day, as it was prospective student day for Mackenzie's Kindergarten. (That just means it was a day for us to go and observe the current Kindergarten class.) It was from 8 am to 10 am, so we left here around 7:35 am just to be sure we had plenty of time. As Mackenzie was getting ready to eat her breakfast at 7:15 am, she commented about being a little tired. I sighed and agreed wholeheartedly! I said, "It's hard to get up so early in the morning, isn't it, Mackenzie?" Her reply was, "Yes, it is. Especially for children." I laughed out loud. Then came her very serious response, "But, Mom, it is NOT an early morning. It is the middle of the night." Oh, she was so matter-of-fact about it! "Why does Kindergarten have to start so early?' was the next thing she said. What a hoot!

She then gave me a great big bear hug with her arms around my neck and her legs wrapped around my waist. I loved it! As she held on she announced, "I think I'll hug you for an hour and a half!" I thought that sounded like a good plan to me. I love those hugs. We sat and enjoyed our breakfast together and then headed out the door.

Both of us enjoyed meeting all four Kindergarten teachers and observing them in action. We won't know which teacher is hers until closer to August. For now, I'm glad we had our time together this morning. I don't know who felt better after observing the teachers...Mackenzie or me! :)

6 comments:

Sara said...

Sweet Mackenzie!! Those early mornings Monday thru Friday will be rough once school is in full session!!! I don't look forward to that at all!

Coincidentally Laura had her Kindergarten screening today in case she goes in the Fall. It was kinda surreal!!!

Anonymous said...

I cried during Miss H's entire first day of Kindergarten lol...I cannot believe Mackenzie and C-man are starting Kindergarten this year!! Yikes...Oh well, at least I have JT at home a little longer :)

Enjoy these precious days :)

Erika said...

What a special day! I love hugs like that too! It's like time just stands still. You have a sweet girl.

Cindy said...

I'm so glad you both enjoyed your first taste of kindergarten! Tell Mackenzie that while she was enjoying her breakfast this morning, Will and I were already heading out the door!! (Just wait til next winter when it's still dark on the way to school!! That REALLY feels like the middle of the night!) :)

Melanie said...

I totally have to agree with Mackenzie! School should not have to begin so early! If they are talking about moving start times around for Knox county we should rally for a later start time. Wouldn't it make sense for the high schools to start earlier- they could get out earlier for sports and jobs and then still have time for homework!

Mackenzie is going to do great next year. It is such a fun and exciting year. That is probably why I have stayed in K for so long. Don't worry April- you will do great too!

Ginger said...

Bless her heart! I love her observations! I know she will do great and thrive in K.
Luckily, our K does not start until 8:35, which means I will not have to get in my car until about
8:15 b/c we live so close to school. yay!!