Friday, January 8, 2010

Snow Days!

Yeah, that's a real original title since half the country (or more?) is covered in winter weather these days! Ha! Anyways, Josiah was picked up early from "school" yesterday and Mackenzie's school was canceled today due to the snowy/icy weather. We completely enjoyed these two days of snow. Josiah and Mackenzie with the "Christmas" tree in our backyard. This was Thursday evening, while all four of us were outside together.
Mackenzie at the base of the slide.

Josiah eating snow off the ladder rungs as he climbed up to go down the slide. Watching the kids literally fly down the slide in their snowsuits would scare anyone! I'm just thankful we had no injuries, and therefore no trips to the emergency room. He, he. They loved the snowy slide, though. To watch them go down it over and over and over was comical.

Cute pic of Mackenzie in the snow yesterday.

This morning, after David headed on to work, the kids and I bundled up and headed outside. One of the first things they did was to lay down in the driveway and make snow angels. In the above picture they are giving each other "high fives" for the great job making snow angels that they both did! Too cute.

Here's Josiah in action making a snow angel in our driveway.
The most memorable thing the three of us did this morning was sledding. Alas, I have no pictures of it as I was right in the middle of it all! We began by sledding down the hill in our front yard. The kids were each on a sled and I was pushing the sled to get it started down the hill. It was fun, but what was even better was sledding down the street! We quickly figured out that we didn't have to stop at the base of our yard. Instead, we could begin in our yard, land in the street which was solid ice with some snow, too, and continue down the huge hill. So, after checking both ways for traffic, I sat down on the sled. Both kids piled in my lap. We then began, slowly at first and then gathering great (and completely out of control) momentum. The three of us, all piled on that one bright red sled, flew down the entire street from our house to the stop sign at the base! We went all different directions, including backwards as I cannot steer the sled! The kids laughed and squealed with delight as we just kept going and going down that hill. Two times of walking all the way back UP that hill was plenty, so we headed inside for a cup of hot chocolate.
Here's Mackenzie enjoying her hot chocolate in her insulated underwear, or cuddle duds, as we call them!

Here's Josiah enjoying (spewing) his hot chocolate in his cuddle duds. I found those on clearance at Target last week, and boy am I glad we had those!

I spent a lot of time trying to get Josiah to pose for a picture outside in the snow. It just didn't happen. He was way too busy just enjoying the snow to stop for pictures. Sigh. So, I laughed when he flopped down on the bar stools after enjoying his hot chocolate and announced, "Cheese." He was posing for a picture! I snapped it, of course! :)

5 comments:

Cindy said...

This has been a fun snow! I took the boys sledding one street over this afternoon after lunch, though I didn't get on with them. Maybe I will tomorrow...you've inspired me!

Cindy said...

Cute little red faces all bundled up! We haven't braved the cold with the girls. Actually they are outside right now with Bill for the first time and there isn't much snow left.
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun sledding. I would have loved seeing you all three zooming down that big hill!
Hope to see you tomorrow.

Kim said...

Love the new blog look!

Ginger said...

Great pictures, April. I didn't get picture of my kids in the snow. I love the last one of Josiah! Sute a cutie :)

Sara said...

I like all the pictures you captured of the kids. Very cute! Laura loved playing in the snow last week while Grant cried and didn't know what to do with it! It was hilarious!