Friday, January 15, 2010

The Things They Say...

Mackenzie: "Mom, the only kind of spider that I like is Papa Long Legs because I know that kind won't bite me."
I fell apart into a fit of laughter as that is one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time. I think she was embarrassed by having called the spiders by the wrong names. She is a child who likes to be right and do things the right way, you see. I tried to explain that what she said was really cute, and it's okay that she called them something different. I loved it! Anyways, to really get the impact of her statement, you have to know that my dad's name is "Papa Long," so when Mackenzie had heard about Granddaddy Long Legs, she just morphed the two together to create the name Papa Long Legs for the friendly spiders. (I know, I know...they are extremely poisonous but their mouths are too small to actually bite humans, therefore they are harmless.)

As I tucked Mackenzie in tonight, her pajamas were full of static and making really pretty sparks under her covers in the dark room. We called Josiah in to see the "fireworks" and talked about static electricity. Both kids thought it was pretty neat to actually see the sparks. Then David took Josiah to his room to tuck him in. Mackenzie looked at me and said, "Mom, it's so cool that Grannie New got me light up pajamas for Christmas! I didn't even know they made light up pajamas!"

I worked today. While I was at work, Mrs. Susan and Mr. Frank kept Josiah for the morning. When I went to pick Josiah up from their house this afternoon, they were playing in the yard. Josiah LOVES to be outside, and lately it has been too cold for him to be outside. He loved his time outdoors today, and spent a good deal of it playing with sticks. He began to dig, and dig, and dig at the base of a tree in their yard. I asked what he was doing...thinking he might say something like trying to dig up the tree, or dig a hole, or something like that. We got a good laugh at his actual answer. "I'm digging to find my friends, the worms." It was said so seriously and so sweetly that is was hilarious.

My kids have said several really funny and cute and sweet things lately. I fear that I don't record enough of them! For now, at least those 3 moments from our day today are on record, so-to-speak.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I loved those! All three of those were great for recording and sharing! Good start to my day. Thanks!

Shellie Salza said...

Love those funnies! My favorite was the morphing of grandaddy and Papa Long! Adison has been getting upset when we laugh at something he says these days too. I really have to choke back the laughter sometimes.