Saturday, August 30, 2008

Who Will I Marry

As I tucked Mackenzie into bed tonight, she asked me, "Mom, will I sleep in my twin bed when I grow up or will I have to get a bigger one?"

Me: "Well, I don't know. You can sleep in your twin bed when you grow up, but if you get married I think you'll need a bigger bed."

Mackenzie: "Oh. Will I marry Josiah when I grow up?"

Me: "No, you won't marry Josiah when you grow up because he's your brother. You can't marry someone you're related to, and besides, he already has a special role; he's your brother."

Mackenzie: "Oh. Then who will I marry?"

Me: "I don't know. Only God knows who you'll marry, if you choose to marry. But I do know that it will be to a someone you like a lot, someone you like so much that you love."

Mackenzie: "Oh! I'm going to marry Laura!"

Me: Laughing, "No, you won't marry Laura! She is someone that you love, but she's a girl. Girls only marry boys, and boys only marry girls."

Mackenzie: Smiling, "Why?"

Me: "Because God is very clear about that. That is the way he made it."

Pause.

Mackenzie: "I know. I can marry my daddy!"

Me: "That's really sweet, but I'm already married to your daddy!"

Mackenzie: "So who will I marry?"

Me: "Only God knows the answer to that question."

Sigh. Precious thoughts and ideas. We had a long conversation that was a lot of fun! I had to post it. I don't want to forget these moments.

7 comments:

TexasNeals said...

awwww, such innocence! i love it. i recently had a very similar conversation w/ molly beth. i still don't think she understands why she can't marry suzannah?! HA! :)

Sara said...

Oh sweet Mackenzie! I'm glad she loves Laura so much, but that you made it clear that girls marry boys. So funny!

Kim said...

How sweet! It is never too early to start praying for a Christian spouse for our children, huh?

Kim said...

P.S.
Kennedy has informed us that she will marry Corbin Bleu because he has "curlys" like she does!!

Ginger said...

Sweet conversation, April. I have had a similar conversation like that with Will. I'll tell you what-I already pray very hard for my future daughters-in-law!!

Cindy said...

That is one conversation that almost ran full circle! :) Don't you love the way kids think...and learn? Very cute post.

Melanie said...

What sweet innocent thoughts!