Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Zoo!

This post is a week late, but better late than never, right?! So. A week ago today Josiah and I took Mackenzie to "school." She was delighted to be there, and Josiah was a little lost without her. On our way out of the school and back to our van, I asked Josiah what he wanted to do with the day. He did not miss a beat in saying, "I want to go to the zoo." Okay...I had never been to the zoo at 9:30am, but okay! Let's go! Here is Josiah, enthusiastically marching to see the elephants.
Josiah with the giraffes.

Josiah intrigued by the river otters splashing, playing, and swimming.
A huge tortoise eating a watermelon. Did you know that they only eat twice a week because their metabolism is so slow? And it only takes them about 15 minutes to eat something the size of that watermelon, rind and all. Wouldn't ya know we walked up just in time to watch it eat! :)
The whole day was like that: perfect timing to enjoy each animal to the fullest. The black bear was prowling around, the penguins were swimming, the birds were flying, the prairie dogs were digging, the water buck was in the water hole, the elephant and giraffes were in plain view, the lions were making a deep guttural sound that kinda sent chills down your spine and made you grateful they were in cages, the ostrich was pacing near the fence, the rhino poked its head out to say hello, the chimps were anxious to show off their 1 month old baby, the red pandas also had a baby in the cage, and on and on it goes. I have never seen the animals so active at the zoo. I don't know if it was because of the time of day we were there or the fact that the weather was cooler, but I am certainly grateful for a wonderfully fun day at the zoo with my precious little man.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

What fun! That Josiah is so cute! I'm looking forward to spending more one-on-one time with Sam, too. The two days that Will has been at school, Sam has just talked and talked and talked!!!

Sara said...

It is so much fun to just be able to go out with one child and just enjoy them! Glad you had that day with Josiah!

I miss you!!! I saw your Mom and Mark tonight at HU. Have a fun b'day weekend with M.

Kim said...

What a sweet mom to take him somewhere special on Mackenzie's first day of school-what a precious outing for just you and Josiah!

Sara said...

I love the way you described what all the animals were doing! Very fun reading.

Allison said...

Josiah is getting so big! What a cute little boy he is! I can't wait to take Sydney to the zoo - maybe next year we could all go together!

Nicole said...

I'm with Josiah, the otters are super interesting! They're my favorite part! I was so upset when the Nashville Zoo replace our otters with alligators.

Ginger said...

How fun! That is so neat that you got to see all the babies. I always loved watching the red pandas. They were a favorite of ours. I bet their babies were cute. Knoxville has such a great zoo.