Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dx: LLL Pneumonia-Update

Update: While Mackenzie is now afebrile, she continues to cough. Dr. Greg assures us that she is no longer contagious as she has been on antibiotics for over four days, so I intend for her to go to school tomorrow. She seems to feel fine, other than the occasional cough which sounds very wet. We have a follow up appointment for her on Thursday.

Josiah, on the other hand, began coughing last Thursday night. His cough has worsened significantly. He began running 103 temps around 3am Friday night/Saturday morning. I took him in to see Dr. Greg on Saturday morning. While his lungs were clear on Saturday, they were not so clear on Sunday evening. I went ahead and filled his prescription for Cefzil, too, and started his 10 days on Sunday night. He has continued to be feverish(102's and 103's) today (Monday) and has coughed until he vomited at least three different times within the past 24 hrs.

Thanks for all the prayers. Please continue to pray that the kids continue to improve...and that David and I will stay well, too! Hope you all are well. :)

Sigh. My poor sick baby girl (yeah, she's almost four and a half and she's still my baby girl!) is in bed asleep already. She actually ASKED to be tucked in at 6pm tonight! She's running 103.8 temp. That's the highest hers has ever been in her life. She feels lousy. This afternoon we found out why!

After her being sick for 9 days (started mild and worsened yesterday), I decided whatever she had was not clearing up on its own and it was time to dig a little deeper. We spent the afternoon going from the pediatrician's office to ETCH radiology department and back to the pediatrician's office. The x-ray showed Left Lower Lobe Infiltrates (Pneumonia). Sigh. One Rocephin shot and a 10 day script for Cefprozil later...she'll be on the road to recovery in no time! Poor kid. What started as a mild cough with sinus congestion worsened quickly for her. She has always struggled with respiratory issues since she had RSV as a 2 1/2 month old infant. I'm incredibly thankful that the x-rays were done and a diagnosis found. Please pray for a fast and complete recovery for my Mackenzie! Thanks.

And that's more than you really wanted to know about her health history. ;) But I do feel better just sharing with you...whoever you are that's reading this post. Ha.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh April, I'm so sorry! Is there anything we can do to help? I hope she feels better soon.

Sara said...

Poor Mackenize!! I hate high fevers and they just really make them feel so lousy. Grant's was 103 last week and he was so pitiful! I'm sure she'll feel better even by tomorrow. Glad you got it checked out!

Dallas said...

I will pray for your baby girl...she will always be your baby!

Holly Aytes said...

Sorry to hear she feels lousy :( We haven't experienced pneumonia w/ any of the kids yet but have had the high fevers...they are the worst b/c the kids feel so bad. Caleb's got to 103 when he had the flu and Madison's was 104 when she had that kidney infection when she was 3 months. I hope your baby (I still call Taylor my baby and she is almost 9) is feeling better very soon.

Cindy said...

Poor Mackenzie! I think every person I know has had a sick child (or children) with a different diagnosis every time. Glad you found out what it is!

Nicole said...

Boo pneumonia! Poor MacKenzie! Braedon had rsv at 4 months old and we too have struggle with respitory junk. Hopefully they'll grow out of it. :)

She's in our prayers, keep us posted.

Cindy said...

So sorry to hear about Mackenzie. I know you feel better knowing what is going on. I hope Mackenzie feels better soon. Let us know if we can do anything to help out.

Ginger said...

Bless her sweet heart. Hope she is feeling better very soon!

Shellie Salza said...

I hope Mackenzie is feeling better!

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!

Shana said...

April,

I am Sara M's friend that you helped a couple of months ago via e-mail. I saw where you posted on Sara's blog and I just wanted write and tell you how thankful we are/were of your generosity. We ended up getting a spacer for Easton called the WatchHaler. I think it is new and we are very pleased with it. (minus the cost since Blue Cross would not pay for it). :) Thanks again for your tips!

I hope Mackenzie gets well! Poor thing! Easton had RSV when he was 10 months old. He is still having respiratory issues and is 6 1/2. Hope you guys get better!