Friday, February 20, 2009

RSV, Pneumonia, Sinusitis

What a week we've had...these pics tell you quite a lot. After my previous post about Mackenzie's pneumonia, Josiah spiked a 103 temp during the night last weekend. We started him on Cefprozil on Sunday night. By Wednesday morning he was still running high temps (102-103's), his cough had worsened, his nose was running clear but large amounts, and he was lethargic. Nice. I went on to work (I'm working one day a week right now) in PULMONOLOGY, none-the-less. I placed a call to our pediatrician that had already been following our saga on Wednesday morning. Of course, they wanted us to bring Josiah in to be seen. David took him to his 10am appt and called me around 11:30 to say they were heading my way. :) (Not to our office, but to ETCH.) Needless to say, I clocked out and walked across the street to meet them. Mackenzie was with Susan Smith all day which was such a blessing. (Susan comes to our house to keep both kids when I'm at work.) Anyway. Josiah was admitted to room 310 by Noon on Wednesday. After labs, chest x-ray, waters view of the sinuses, nasal wash for VRP/RSV, blood cultures, flu testing, and lots of IV fluids and IV Rocephin...he's a new kid! His chest x-ray showed pneumonia. The waters view of the sinuses showed sinusitis. The VRP came back positive for RSV. His labs confirmed dehydration. His pulse oximeter showed his sats to be in the low 90's (91 to 94). So there you have it. One sick 2 1/2 year old boy! I am very thankful for health care. I'm thankful to know what was causing the issues, and I'm thankful he's so much better after getting fluids on board. I'm prayerful that both kids continue to improve. We are home now. Came home last night around 8:30pm or so. We're still doing Xopenex treatments for Josiah, but his temps are normal and he's hydrated! His coughing continues...and to the point that he ends up vomiting about twice per day...but with more time, he'll cough the gunk up out of his lungs and he'll be just fine.


My sick boy with his IV in his right hand with his sister nearby!


16 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh April, I am so sorry you have had such a rough few weeks. I pray you guys are on your way to healthier days soon. The pictures of Mackenzie on the bed with Josiah are so sweet. Don't you love that sibling bond! Let me know if you need anything at all. I can run errands for you if you need me to. Just let me know.

Dallas said...

I'm so glad is he back home! I know that must be heart wrenching as a mama!!!! Get some rest, I'm sure you could all use it!

Ginger said...

Bless all your hearts! I am so sorry Josiah has had such a rough time. Good thing you are an expert in those areas! Hope you are all on the road to feeling better :)

Cindy said...

I just can't believe how many different sicknesses he had! What a blessing to catch them all in time....love you guys!

Shellie Salza said...

That is the CUTEST pitiful picture I have ever seen! The bed is huge even with both of them in it. So glad both your babies are feeling better! YAY for healthcare. It's amazing to me most people think we have a broken healthcare system!

Rebecca said...

Wow, Josiah we are glad you are getting better. Mackenzie, Abby says, "I love you and I prayed for you." Love to you all. So thankful for medicine that helps sick little ones get well.

Hannah said...

Wow...and here I was bemoaning my run-of-the-mill cold. I'm glad to hear that everyone is now (hopefully) on the mend.

Kim said...

Bless you and your sweet family's hearts. I've been computer-less, so I had no idea. I am so happy they are on the mend. I'm sorry you all had that to go through.

Sara said...

I'm so glad Josiah is doing better. Cute pics of the kids on the bed together even with Josiah looking so sick! Love ya!!

Alicia said...

Oh my goodness - I am so sorry he was so sick!! You are such a strong mommy.

On an unrelated note, I used to work with a Susan Smith at HCA, and I think she lives in your part of the country. I wonder if it could be the same girl... It is such a small world.

Erika said...

Poor Josiah! He's been a sick little boy!
I hope you all are feeling much better. I love how close your two kiddos are. It makes me smile!

Melanie said...

I thought we had it rough with a 3 week old with pink eye! I am so glad everyone is on the mend! My prayers are that you are all heling and getting much needed rest!

TexasNeals said...

oh, bless y'all's hearts!!! sometimes it just feels like one thing after another doesn't it? spring can't get here soon enough, huh? hope he's doing fine now and that y'all will be able to stay healthy!! :)

Kennesaw Baumann said...

Oh April, I am so sorry to hear about the sick kiddos. I am so glad to hear Josiah is feeling better. I will send prayers your way.....

Amanda said...

Wow, poor Josiah has been through the wringer! I'm so glad he's starting to feel better. I know how helpless you feel with a sick child. Looks like you had Mackenzie to help him out too. What a sweet sister!

Allison said...

I am so sorry to hear all this!! But am so thankful they are both on the road to recovery. Poor little angels. I'll be praying for you all.