Monday, February 2, 2009

Winter Wonderland Prayer

As we sat watching The Lady and the Tramp (rented DVD) this morning, Mackenzie announced that she was praying for a winter wonderland. I inwardly found that amusing since I had not seen the forecast and it was rainy. Well. Within ONE hour, it began pouring buckets of snow! How's that for a fast answer to prayer?! :) It continued to snow for the majority of the day. We ended up with several inches of snow. It completely covered the ground, driveway, and neighborhood streets. For a while it was snowing so hard and thick that visibility was drastically reduced! I just love watching snow fall. It truly is beautiful. After I got over being stunned that it was really, really snowing, we jumped into snow suits and went out to enjoy it.
Mackenzie enjoying the snow.

Josiah enjoying the snow.

Mackenzie preparing to launch a snow ball at Josiah. :) (Notice how deep her boots are buried in the snow! Lots to play in and enjoy this time!)

Mackenzie and Josiah holding hands for a picture.

Josiah attempting to make the carrots stay on our poor attempt at a snow man! Seems I missed the class on how to build a snowman. ;) We had fun trying, and Josiah enjoyed decorating our snowman with carrots....you know, eyes, nose, mouth...growing right out of his face and head, too! Go ahead. Scroll back up to admire our snowman and enjoy a good laugh.

Josiah shows off a large snowball!
I enjoyed the day with my kids in a new kinda way today. Lately I feel that I have been rushing my time with them rather than just enjoying the moment and truly being in the moment with them. My awareness of how quickly the time does go brought with it a new resolution to live in the moment and be in the moment. (By nature I am a planner, organizer, and a very time-oriented get-it-done, stay on task and stay on schedule type of person, so this is challenging for me!) I am pleased to announce that it was a great day! Pray that I will not let one of my strengths become one of my weaknesses in parenting. Funny how our greatest strengths can also be our greatest weakness.
We found that all 3 of us fit on the sled. We could practically fly down the slope of our front yard, over the curb, and into the street! Only problem with that...my bottom is sore. Oh, yes, very sore, from repeated flights on the sled with the kids in my lap. I can say this, though. It was worth every minute of it!


6 comments:

Sara said...

So the year we leave, Knoxville gets a good snow...humph! I loved your pics and attempt at building a snowman! HA!

I also have to remind myself to enjoy my kids and stop trying to do this or that each day...but just relax and enjoy. Time passes way too quickly! I'm already sad that Grant will be ONE in 6 weeks! Not my baby!!

Allison said...

What fun!! Sydney and I went out today and "played" in the snow...consisted of a couple pics of Sydney trying to stand up in her huge snowsuit, and then getting frustrated she couldn't walk in it. I am sure before I know it, I'll be sledding with Sydney.

Cindy said...

Oh, Mackenzie must have been so excited!! That's a great story!

Kim said...

You guys got a lot of snow-just beautiful. And, I think you are probably one one the best quality time moms out there!

Ginger said...

This snow missed Nashville, but looks like it was beautiful there in Knoxville. How fun!
It is hard to slow down and just enjoy the moment when it seems there is so much around us we "should" be doing.
Thanks for your reminder.

TexasNeals said...

oh how fun!!! send some of that snow our way!!!!! :)
i can identify w/ your struggle. but what a blessing if we could learn to overcome those tendencies and really savor every moment w/ our little treasures?! it's a process and we just do the best we can. from what i see and read, you are doing a GREAT job, april!! :)