Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Summer Fun Begins

Well, it's not actually summer yet; it is still spring. However, today was the first day of summer break from school. The kids and I made the most of it! We spent part of the day at the fruit and berry patch. As we entered the farm area, I rolled down the windows so the kids could smell the honeysuckle. They were so excited it was comical! When I parked the van beside the strawberry fields, the kids walked right up to the honeysuckle growing on the fence nearby instead! Mackenzie showed Josiah how to suck the "honey" from the honeysuckle. After learning, he immediately began filling his strawberry bucket with honeysuckle! The above picture captures the look of surprise on Mackenzie's face as he began "picking" the honeysuckle! Those kids just crack me up.
The really funny thing is that, after being totally surprised by Josiah putting honeysuckle in his bucket, Mackenzie joined right in! So, there's my two kiddos, side-by-side, picking the honeysuckle. :)

Next Josiah was eager to learn how to pick the strawberries. (Notice all the honeysuckle in his bucket!) So, I taught him which ones to search for and off he went into the fields!

Here's Mackenzie, ready to begin. (Notice her honeysuckle, too!) :)

My two berry pickers, hard at work.

Proudly displaying a nice strawberry that she found.

After we were finished picking berries, we spent some time with the goats and sheep. (And, just in case you're wondering...Mackenzie dressed herself, without input from me today. He, he. She insists that her shirt and shorts DO match. Since we were heading to the farm, I decided that would be just fine and she could certainly have the liberty to choose her attire for the day.)

Josiah began feeding them the grass without hesitation.

Mackenzie, on the other hand, was much more timid at first. She quickly warmed up to feeding them, too, but her favorite was the baby!

My sweet babies.

Our summer time out of school is off to a great start! I'm looking forward to many more days ahead with my two precious children.

2 comments:

Salza Family said...

I've so enjoyed all your recent posts. Such a fun time of year! The black and white pic is great!!

Ginger said...

I have really enjoyed your last several posts. I am just getting caught up on reading blogs! Kindergarten graduation is just so special isn't it? What a great age to be and such a magical time of life. If only we could freeze time for just a little while. Strawberry picking is a great way to kick off your summer. Enjoy!!