Monday, February 25, 2008

School Day!

Update: The day went very well. Mackenzie loved school. She says her favorite part was lunch. She says she has a new friend named Emilia. She liked the slides at recess, though she mostly played by herself as she has not met many other children yet. The teachers said she did not ask for us at all. No tears were shed. They said she jumped right in and did fine. She is excited about going back to school on Wednesday. Her bedtime prayer tonight was, "Dear God, Please help us to have a good day at school. Amen." I thought that was pretty cute. When I asked her what she did at school today, she said, "I learned a memory verse and I even got to hold the Bible, Mommy!" Needless to say, I feel VERY GOOD about the school she attends. What a blessing and answered prayer that the day went well for everyone!!! Thanks for your prayers and support and encouragement. Mackenzie at home before her first day of preschool.
Mackenzie and Trinity

I am again typing through teary eyes. I held up just fine through the whole morning until now. Josiah and I are home; Mackenzie is at school. I did have to wake her up this morning about an hour earlier than she usually wakes up. She woke up excited and ready to go. I took a few pics here at home and a few at school before leaving her there.



Her questions on the way to school:

"Mommy, who will take care of me today?"

"What does Mrs. Rachel look like?"

"Is Josiah coming with me?"



Once we arrived at school, she insisted on carrying her lunchbox by herself. We went inside and she put her things in her locker. After that, she just kinda stood there taking it all in and watching the other kids play. One little girl, Trinity, was quick to talk to Mackenzie. She is in a picture with Mackenzie who was just not too sure about everything. Mackenzie found her seat with her name tag. She seemed happy to be there. Never cried. Never asked to leave. Never asked me to stay. Just looked a little unsusre. Perhaps she will quickly figure out the routine and meet the other children.



5 comments:

Dallas said...

I hope she enjoys her day! I sat here with tears in my eyes reading your post today and last night. It is so hard to let them go! Nora will go one day a week, starting in August, to a Mother's Day out program and I am sure I will sit in the parking lot the entire day...just in case she needs me. Or I need her.

Sara said...

After talking to you, I'm so glad the Mackenzie had a good first day and that you also survived her being gone.

Laura is so excited to talk to her about school. She kept asking me at dinner who were her new friends, what her teachers name are, etc. It was cute!

April said...

I'm sure Mackenzie will love telling Laura all about it! Their conversations crack me up! They are only 3 years old, yet they carry on conversations like little teenagers. :) We both appreciate your friendship.

Dallas, your comment means alot to me, too. I love the "sit in the parking lot..." you are too funny!

Ginger said...

Both of your posts made me cry! I share your thoughts of letting go. But, like you said, Mackenzie is ready. I am SO proud of her. No tears, nothing! That is HUGE! You should feel good about her sense of self-confidence. You and David have provided her with that foundation that she will carry with her her whole life.

Kara said...

Okay, I must be just a bad mother... I LOVE that my Laura has started back to Mother's Day Out and celebrated the day she went for the first time three weeks ago. We call it her "Play Day" because she does NOT want to go to school and I need her to. She loves it, though, and we are pleased with the program she is in. But did I shed any tears, alas, no. She'll even go in the summer to maintain consistency. I'm glad Mackenzie is doing so well. :)