Monday, April 21, 2008

Who's Still Standing?

Mackenzie was talkative upon being picked up from school today. The first story she told me about her day left me a bit speechless, at least for a moment...

Me: "So, what did you do today?"
Mackenzie: "I made a Birthday cake at recess."
Me:"That sounds like fun. What did you make it out of?"
Mackenzie: "Mulch, but this other little girl came over to me and my friends and knocked my cake down. She is bigger than me, Momma. She's in the 4's class. But I pushed her away and said, "No, No," and made sure she did not do that again."
Me: "Oh. Did you get in trouble for pushing?"
Mackenzie: "Oh, No, Momma! I made sure the teacher did not see me."
Me: "Do you mean you just moved her over a little and used your words to ask her not to bother your cake again?"
Mackenzie: "No. I pushed her to the ground and she cried. But the teacher checked on her and asked her if she was okay. She is, Momma. She left my cake and my friends alone after that."
Me: "I guess she did!"

And then came the part where we had a long discussion about how to use our words rather than hitting or pushing...and the part where I explained that if you hit or push someone at school more than twice, you are not allowed back into the school at all! That hit home with Mackenzie as she LOVES school.

Of course, David and I had a moment of "I can't believe our child did that," followed by a moment of laughing about the incident as the other girl had to be bigger than our almost 30 pound Mackenzie. At least we don't have to worry about anyone bulldozing over her! She can most definitely stand up for herself. Now we just hope and pray that she is a bit more selective about WHEN and HOW to stand up for herself--Ha. :)

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Funny story, April! Don't you wish you could've been a fly on the...playground??? ;)

Holly Aytes said...

Sweet, little Mackenzie pushed somebody! I wish I could have seen that. I laughed just thinking about it.

Ginger said...

You go girl, Mackenzie!

Hannah said...

A girl who can take care of herself. Reminds me of her mother. ;)

TexasNeals said...

HA! :)