Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Traffic Violation!




Oh, yes, you did read the title of this post correctly: Traffic Violation! In my defense, this is the first time I have EVER received a citation for a traffic violation. I surely do hope this is the last time, too!


So, I go to the mailbox today. I am excited, as I LOVE checking the mail. Who doesn't? It is so wonderful to get mail...usually. Today it was not. As I flipped through our miniature pile of mail, one envelope caught my attention. I opened it. To my dismay I found two sheets of paper from the police! Wow. They even included pictures. (Can you hear my sarcasm?) Three pictures, to be exact. Of me, (yes, the driver was definitely me based on the date, time, and location they so kindly included) running a red light! They even gave me the link to the website so I could watch the video of myself running a red light. How EMBARRASSING! What's worse, I did not even see the red light. I did not know I ran it. I did not try to stop. I just did not know the light was there: SCARY!!!


After I got over my initial shock, I called David to tell him about the violation and the nice $50 fee we owe as a result of my stupidity. He laughed! Ok, so that DID make me feel a little better.


Later in the day it hit me: I am thankful. I am thankful (not for the fee we have to pay as a result of the whole ordeal) but thankful for my life! Though the video shows there were no other cars near me, running a red light can be a very dangerous thing. I could have, theoretically, been putting my life, as well as the lives of others, at stake. I am so very thankful the Lord saw fit to keep us all safe as I unknowingly ran that red light. (Side note: the kids were not with me at the time, which is unusual, but a blessing!)




8 comments:

James E. Miller said...

What a great post with photos! I would love to have something that cool to put on my blog. It might even be worth $50.

You totally ran that red light, like it wasn't even there! I had no idea you were such an aggressive rebel driver. It's almost like you thought, "Laws don't apply to me," and then floored it through the red light.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Sara said...

that is hard red light to see.....guess you were on the way to see us at the hospital!!!

April said...

You guessed right, Sara! The day of my traffic violation is the day Grant was born...I was on my way home from visiting you and meeting Grant. And, apparently a bit too occuppied with other thoughts...:)

Ginger said...

That exact same thing has happened to me, April! About 2 months ago we got that same thing in the mail, but JW opened it and I had some questions to answer! We both had a laugh about it, except for the $50 fine. Thankfully, both my kids were at school. It was a rainy day and I didn't see the light, either. Were you on Cedar Bluff? That is where my offense happened!
I never thought about putting it on my blog, though!

Cindy said...

That is just HILARIOUS! Only because we've all done it...some of us just haven't gotten the notice in the mail..yet. ;)

Holly Aytes said...

i go through that light at least 2 times a day since Taylor is at cedar bluff. you aren't the only one to run it, I see at least 1-2 cars a week run go through. so far i haven't been guilty but since i go through it so often i am more aware of it:) if your mind had to be occupied at least it was occupied with thoughts of a beautiful new baby boy and your good friend's joyous occasion. :)

Dallas said...

I'm glad you are okay! What about those crazy cameras that cops have now!

Ryan said...

Challenge it! "Innocent until proven guilty." They can't prove it was you, unless you're willing to incriminate yourself. It may have been your *car*; but that doesn't prove it was *you* in it.

I'm not a fan of people running red lights, but there's a fundamental conflict of interest in most of these cases, where the company that puts up the cameras gets ticket revenue. They have an incentive to make it easy to run a red light (by shortening the yellow light time, for instance).