Thursday, May 1, 2008

Precious Words

Josiah's favorite thing to tell complete strangers when approached by someone is, "That's my momma," while pointing at me. He says it with a guttural sound to his voice and often times with his little chin tucked as though to say "and she will protect me!" He also says the same thing when David is nearby and someone speaks to him. "That's my daddy," Josiah says in the same way as if to say "and he will protect me so don't even think about talking to me!" There is something so sweet about hearing his little voice so full of pride!

I took the kids to play at the park today. Mackenzie and I were having fun with an underground telephone system. You know, the kind you speak into and can be heard at the other end of the playground? Well, she and I were having this conversation, you see. She piped up, completely unsolicited by me, and said, "Momma, I sure am glad God made you so that I could have a Mommy." Wow. She made my day. My child is thankful for me. I'll have to remember that during the teenage years, huh.

The trust, love, innocence, and honesty of a child is humbling, refreshing, and motivating. The scripture about the Kingdom of Heaven belonging to such as these comes to mind. Children truly have so very much to teach...when we take the time to listen.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Great story! Such sweet kids.

Ginger said...

My boys teach me something new everyday. Sometimes I wish I could put them in slow motion. They are so precious at this age. So full of truth and innocent perception. Thanks for sharing.

Sara said...

Awww..what a momma's boy! Missed talking to you this week..hope you are getting all prepared for your big trip.

Alicia said...

How sweet! Man, I'm dreading the teenage years...

Amanda said...

Wow, the words every mother longs to hear! What precious children! Love the story about the cake. About adding more pictures, you can hit the "add pictures" button in the same message as many times as you want. It took me a while to figure that out myself.

knew said...

Sweet...I miss you guys. Can't wait to see you again!

TexasNeals said...

so true, SO sweet!

Rachel said...

What a precious story! I really enjoy your blog, April :)