Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Deer

If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes, I'm not sure I'd believe it! :)
As the kids and I came home from gymnastics today, we saw two beautiful deer running through our neighborhood. They were standing so still on the street corner that when I first spotted them I really was not sure they were real...until they bolted as we turned onto the street near them. As they ran, I scrambled for my camera...they were pretty far away by the time I managed to snap this pic through the front windshield of the van. Still, it is proof that we really got to see two deer running down our street today!
Anyone else have fun or strange animal stories that they want to share?

5 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

Knoxville is full of deer and you will really start seeing them. Now is a good time for them to be looking for foliage in people's gardens :) Since we have the lake at the bottom of our street we get deer alot. I actually had 1 run into my car one evening last winter right by our house....it was on the side of the road and I slowed down so the car was barely moving since I didn't know which way it would run. Right as I got to it it turned my way and ran right into the drivers side of the van! Scared my to death. I figured there would be a dent in my door since the sound was horrible but there wasn't and the deer bounded off fine :)

Holly Aytes said...

The previous comment should say "scared me to death". Gotta watch my grammar more closely :)

Cindy said...

Okay, no one has ever believed this story, but it did happen. I was driving down a major street in Clarksville, TN when I was in college. It was pouring down rain, so I was going slowly. Right in front of my car...a deer flew from the right side of the road all the way across to the left. And I mean FLEW...actually it appeared to be spinning, much like a pizza dough, as it moved across. Weirdest animal moment ever!

And when I was a toddler, I was visiting family in northern Minnesota when we saw a bunch of deer in a field. I said, "Look at the kangaroos!" And truly believed that's what they were for a long time!

Sara said...

Bizarre to see deer in your neighborhood!! My only strange animal stories is that I've had too many encounters with snakes in the state of Arkansas!!

Kara said...

I don't have an animal story but wanted to comment on the weekend pictures. I'm glad you got to visit with Papa New and your mom. I missed getting to see them while I was in Arkansas. I think it is precious that you have four generation pictures as well! See you soon!