Thursday, December 4, 2008

She is Reading

Caution: I am about to brag on my 4 year and 3 month old Baby Girl!

She did it! She can really read! Just a few minutes ago Mackenzie and I were in the kitchen making marshmallow creme fudge when she piped up and said, "Momma, does that say 'Dots?'" I responded with an excited, "Yes! It does say 'Dots!'" At this point I'm thinking to myself that she just might have memorized that somewhere along the way, but a milestone nevertheless. I proceeded to grab the can of sweet and condensed milk (which she's never seen before and it does not look like the milk she's used to seeing while still in the unopened can) and ask "What does that say?" while pointing to M-I-L-K. She studied the word for a few seconds and then began to sound it out. After saying it three times to herself, her eyes lit up as she announced, "Milk! It says Milk!" Feeding off of her excitement and making the most of the moment, I grabbed the jar of marshmallow creme. I pointed to the word Jet (as in Jet Puffed) and asked her what that word was (we refer to this as marshmallow creme, so I doubt she'd ever heard it called Jet Puffed). She paused only a moment before responding without even sounding it out loud to say, "Jet!" Then she grinned up at me and said, "Momma, that's easy. I already know my blend ladders, so the short words are easy."

Indeed, she does know her blend ladders (Abeka curriculum). Kudos to Mrs. Melinda! She has done a fantastic job of taking Mackenzie from where she already was in August and building on that to lay the groundwork for reading. Mackenzie and I have fun at restaurants with crayons and letters. She has been able to read and write words like rat, mat, hat, sat, pat, cat, and bat for a few weeks now. I'm working on "that" with her as it is a little trickier! She loves to spell. I hope she keeps that eagerness to learn and enjoyment of reading and writing as she grows. I know I have certainly enjoyed being a part of her learning to read.

I have to add...she has been able to read and write several words like stop, go, mom, dad, red, Josiah, Mackenzie, Jesus, and Laura for over 6 months now. However, those were ones (and there were a few more) that she had just memorized. This milestone is different in that she is able to read words that she has not already committed to memory. The blend ladders have opened up a whole new world for her.

Way to go, Baby Girl! I'm proud of you, Mackenzie!

7 comments:

Dallas said...

I'm sure her grandmother (aka Dr. Watson) is a smidge proud too :). Congrats Mackenzie!!!! That is huge!

Cindy said...

That is sooooo exciting! I remember teaching first grade and loving it when the little lightbulbs went off in the kids' heads and they realized, "Hey, I can read!" How much more exciting it is for it to be your own child. I can't wait to experience that with Lauren and Allison. Way to go Makenzie! And what fun it must be to have Dr. Watson for a grandmother. She used to draw me into a world of wonder when she would read children's books to me in class. What lucky kids to have her for a grandmother.

Erika said...

That is too awesome!! WTG Mackenzie!

Holly Aytes said...

Yeah Mackenzie, keep on readying! April you have every right to be proud reading is such a big part of the rest of her life and if she truly loves reading it will make everything much easier. I remember when Taylor realized she could read....both of us still get excited when she realizes that she can read long words and chapter books :)

Cindy said...

I love moments like this! I remember the first word Will sounded out..."Tom." I took a picture of him reading his first book...sometime in the past year...and he's really taken off this year in kindergarten! As a teacher myself, I've tried to hold off on pushing my children into it, but Will has always had a natural interest in reading and writing. I love it! Sounds like she's in a really with-it preschool program, too. Wow!

Kim said...

And you should!! Wow-that is great. How exciting-hooray, Mackenzie! We are still working on it at 5!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Mackenzie!!