Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bragging

This will be a short post as I don't have much time....I'll get back to blogging more this weekend, I hope. :) I'd like to do a post about David's grandpa who passed away this past Wednesday, January 21st at age 92. He had been married to Grandma for 74 years! She is 94 years old and still living at home! Anyways. We spent the weekend making a quick trip to Arkansas....like I said, more to come later about David's grandparents.

For now, I want to brag on Mackenzie. We went to her Little Ram Round Up tonight. We toured the building and met the teachers. As we toured the classrooms, Mackenzie picked up a sample A Beka book that was lying on the table. She began to read, without my help or prompting, a SEVEN word sentence! She actually read it word for word and pronounced every word correctly on the first try! I was stunned. And the Kindergarten teacher standing nearby was impressed, too! :) Yep, I'm a proud Momma. That's my girl!

(She proceeded to pick up another book and read it, too! As long as the words are made up of short vowel sounds, she can read them....long vowel sounds have not yet been introduced. And she's not even 4 1/2 yet!)

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Isn't that great??? I listened to Will read two books last night that he brought home from school, and I was impressed at his reading level, too. Thrilled, really.

74 years of marriage astounds me!!

And let me just say, you have the best pictures on the top of your blog. I LOVE the black and white snow pic with the kids in color. That is just gorgeous. Please share with me how you did it. Coolest blog pic ever!!

April said...

Wow, Cindy! I would be delighted to show you how I did that...and I'm quite complimented, indeed, that you like the pics! :) Thanks. You made my day. :)

Rachel said...

April,
Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective on preschool on my blog. I can see how it would make a big difference if my child was begging to go to school! It may be a boy/girl difference or just a personality difference, but Caleb generally doesn’t enjoy the classroom environment, at least not at this point. I agree with you that some transition is needed between home and kindergarten, and if we decide against home-schooling for kindergarten, then we may do a semester of preschool. I’m big on putting school off as long as possible for active, hands-on little boys. It just seems to me that school is much friendlier to little girls and the way they think and learn than it is to little boys. We’ll figure it all out, but I definitely appreciate the reinforcement to do what we believe is best for our kids. Thanks!

--Rachel

Kennesaw Baumann said...

That's great!!!! How awesome is it to see your child master these skills at such a young age. Keep up the good work.....

Oh, by the way tell your mom I said "hello"!!!!