Friday, January 9, 2009

Broken Crayons

Josiah proudly holding up his heart shaped crayon.
Josiah drawing with his heart shaped crayon.

Mackenzie with her heart shaped crayon...and her masterpiece. (She calls it scribble scrabble as she was testing out her new crayon and experimenting with the various colors it produces.)

Mackenzie demonstrating how to use her new crayon.

Mackenzie displaying her crayon!
Have you ever wondered what to do with all those tiny pieces of broken crayons? Here's an idea for you! This idea is courtesy of my momma, by the way. I have no idea how many times she did this with me and my brother, Evan, when we were kids. We loved it! Today I decided to try it out with my kids. They really enjoyed it, too.
So. I had the kids help me pick all the broken pieces out of the crayon drawer. Then they helped me take the paper wrapping off the crayons. We made a heart shaped container out of aluminum foil. (I used a cookie cutter to help with the shaping of the foil, then removed the cookie cutter.) The shape of the foil mold for your new crayon is limited only to your creativity and abilities to mold the foil! :) We just stuck with a basic shape, but feel free to experiment! Place the broken pieces into the foil mold. Place the mold on a cookie sheet. Place in oven to bake/melt the crayons. Stay close by as they melt fast! Remove from oven carefully and move minimally so as not to mix the melted liquid colors. Let cool. Unwrap foil mold from bottom of crayon and sides of crayon. Enjoy! ;)
(BTW, we were having pajama day at our house by request of the kids today!) :) :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute idea! We'll have to try it :)

Sara said...

Great idea! Never ever thought about doing that, but it makes sense!

Love a pajama day!!!

Cindy said...

You do the neatest things with your kids!!! We have a bunch of broken crayons that we need to do something with at the moment. I almost canned them a couple of times.....glad I didn't!
We love pajama days at our house!!!! We have them often. :)
Glad you are feeling better. Hope to see you Sunday.

Shellie Salza said...

We LOVE pajama days! What a fun idea. I've seen them before but never thought to do one myself. We'll have to try it soon!

Cindy said...

I've always wanted to try that, but never have. Probably because I'd never realized I could make my own mold! A definite must...Will & I need to clean out his craft caddy anyway. Thanks!

Allison said...

Sounds like fun!! And what cool crayons. I'll have to remember that when Sydney gets a little older:)

Kim said...

Love this idea, April-I'm thinking, the perfect Valentine's Day project!