Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History in the making

While I did not vote for Obama, I was a proud American as I sat on the couch with my two kids watching history in the making. I was filled with a sense of pride and accomplishment for our country. The thing that pleases me the most is that my two kids WILL know a world in which color and ethnic background plays a minor role, pun not intended. Generations ago, people were filled with a prejudice that was taught from birth. Not so today. Our new president does indeed represent our melting pot called America. How cool that an average person can grow up to lead a nation?!

From the Civil War to the America of today, we as a people have come a long ways on the issues of race. How incredibly sad that ANY person that God himself created would be treated as any less than equal. I suppose there's much more that I could say, but for now suffice to say that I am proud to be an American.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I feel the same way. I was so glad school was cancelled due to the snow...I was able to watch the inauguration with Will and Sam, too. No idea if they could figure out why I had tears in my eyes! Neat, neat moment in history.

Ginger said...

Well said, April. As I sat watching, I was thinking, "This man should be seen simply as an American, not a certain color." It is so sad to think it hasn't been that way. It is a great day in America.

Cindy said...

Great thoughts about the day April. It was indeed a day to remember! I'm glad we were able to share it with our children due to the snow day!:)

Ginger said...

Love the new snow picture of the kids on your blog header!!

James E. Miller said...

I'll echo everyone's sentiments. I didn't post on my blog about the inauguration because I was busy Twittering about it with my students. But a number of my Twitter posts reflected on the historical significance of the day. And I was a bot emotional, too.

We have come along way in the last 50 years. Even more, I firmly believe Obama is what our country needs at this time. No, I don't agree with every one of his policy issues. But he is a unifying force who will inspire this nation in great ways.

It was a powerful day.

Kim said...

I agree, April! Love the new blog pic!