Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Appendectomy!

Our last 24 hrs was a little crazy, to say the least. However, I never cease to be amazed at the timing of our Lord. He is one amazing God and can do amazing things! To Him be the glory.

I had a "stomach ache" since Friday night, with no other symptoms. It was dull enough that I, being a good RN, ;0 ignored it until Monday night after we celebrated Mackenzie's birthday. I then headed straight to bed. I felt terrible. It was 6pm. I could not sleep because the pain was so intense. I started vomiting, which I thought would bring some relief (believing at this point that I had a GI virus). There was no relief, but I continued to vomit frequently as the pain increased until about 2am when I decided the ED sounded like a GREAT plan. I needed help. David had already suggested to head on in sooner, but I'm stubborn and did not want to be seen at an ER with a GI bug.

At 2am I was ready to go. We called our neighbor, who graciously came over to stay with our two sleeping kids. David drove me in to the hospital. Amazingly, they were NOT busy! They were quick to get us in a room and get the initial set of labs, all around 3am. My WBC was 15.7 and my glucose was 158--I'm not sure what to make of that...might have to get that checked out as that is too high. Anyways, they suspected appendicitis so they sent me for a CT scan after giving me Zofran and Dilaudid via IV. When they came in with the results of the CT, they had already consulted the surgical resident. Another neat thing, the resident, before paging the attending MD, asked David's preference on surgeons since David works at this hospital--WOW. That was nice. Come to find out, David's choice surgeon IS the one who was on call! Again, God is good. They wheeled me on to the OR prep area, while David signed my consent forms. Dr. Akin arrived and asked several questions. After answering more questions from more individuals, well...that's all I remember! ;) The surgery lasted 1 hr and 28 min and went completely as expected! I am grateful that my appendix had not ruptured, making the whole ordeal as smooth as possible. Pray for the individual in the ER whose HAD ruptured already. Dr. Akin did their surgery immediately after mine was finished. It was much more complicated. Again, I am thankful.

Because I was the first surgery of the day, I had the entire recovery room staff all to myself initially. We had SO much fun back there! Those RN's are great. They were on top of it and catered to my every need, even before I asked. They laughed as I woke more quickly than anticipated and began to spell the word they were struggling to spell. They decided I was just determined to wake up; they were right! This was the first time I'd every been under general anesthesia and actually intubated.

Dr. Akin was good to be in touch with David who was, in the meantime, taking our children to school. Another blessing: this was the first day that BOTH kids were in school simultaneously. Like I said, God's timing is amazing. David was able to come join me about 10am. By this time, Dr. Akin had decided that he really did not need to admit me for the night as originally planned. He made sure I had all the supplies at home, just in case I should need to reinforce the dressing. I am SO thankful that he decided to send me home! I had not asked and was not expecting this, but tis very nice indeed. So, off to ambulatory care I went for a couple more hours. They prepared my discharge papers, and Dr. Akin came by one final time. David went for the van and the staff rolled me out in a wheel chair. I'm home and so very grateful for what could only be God's timing.

Whew. That was a long story. ;) Please continue to pray as I recover. (They were able to do this laproscopically, so I have 3 puncture sites...lined up like buttons on a snowman! Ha. One just below my rib cage, in the middle. The other just below it in my belly button. The last one lined up just below that one. Too funny. At least I'm symmetrical. He, he.)

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, God sure was holding your hand the past 24 hours! Talk about everything being orchestrated perfectly (for emergency surgery, that is :). I am so so glad that you are all fine and that the kids will not have to worry at all about you being in the hospital overnight or anything. I laughed about you having a good time in recovery...sometimes I think that us SAH mommies are so hard up for adult company that even going to the doctor is fun!

Holly Aytes said...

Wow! You sure hid it well as I didn't even notice you feeling poorly on Sunday evening. Glad things worked out well. I had my gallbladder removed almost 7 yrs ago and the whole thing was alot like yours.....very fast and smooth. God's timing is perfect :) I love that they can do all these surgeries laproscopically, it makes for a quick and less painful recovery. Another plus is the tiny incision resulting in tiny scars (I have those same 3 little incisions). Let me know if you need anything.

Sara said...

Well, goodness, April!!! That is an unbelievable 24 hours. God was definitely watching over you. Glad you are home and recovering.

Jill said...

wow, April! So glad you're home now. Amazing how God's timing always works (even when it's totally unexpected to us)! Hope your recovery is quick!!

Erika said...

Wow! I am so glad that you are okay! I hope you heal quickly!

Jennifer said...

WHEW! That was one whirlwind of a time, girl! Glad it went so smoothly! I was just telling one of my girlfriends tonight that I don't even know who I'd go to doctor wise if I had a problem. We've lived here 4 1/2 years and I've never been to one! HA! I told her that was the RN in me...we ignore everything!

Ginger said...

Crazy!! I am so so glad you are okay. You are the 3rd person I know that has had an apped. this year! All about our age, too. Glad it is all okay now.

Rebecca said...

Nothing boring about your week ;-) So grateful God worked so many things out to take care of you. May your kids play together like little angels while you recover :-)