Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kindergarten! (Updated)

My Big Girl! I had to wake both kids up extra early today in order to get Mackenzie to school on time. We made it with 4 minutes to spare!
She wears uniforms to school, and she decided to wear her plaid jumper on her first day. (She can choose from jumpers, dresses, polos, shorts, jeans, khakis, etc.) She told me that she wanted her hair in a plain pony tail for her first day of school. How funny! I thought I might braid it, or at least put a bow in it...but, nope. She had a plain pony tail today! :)

Here she is with her backpack... all set to go!

More pictures in front of our house on this big day.

Enjoying a banana nut muffin on her way to school. She had requested muffins for her first day breakfast. David ended up making them last night as I was finishing the laundry! Thanks, David! :)

Walking down the hallway toward Mrs. Haluska's classroom.

Standing beside her cubby, ready to begin the day.

Mackenzie with Mrs. Haluska, the Kindergarten teacher that we prayed for all summer long! Out of four possible teachers, she was definitely my first pick. However, no one asks parental preference on that, (and I did not tell the school of my preference)...the school prays about it as they assign children to teachers. We prayed at home, and when we got the letter telling us that Mrs. Haluska would be Mackenzie's Kindergarten teacher, I cried tears of joy! What a blessing!
(I had observed in all four classrooms last Spring, and this lady is amazing! What stood out most to me during the observation time is that she speaks in the positive, such as telling a child to please sit down instead of saying it in the negative, such as don't stand up. Children hear and respond to the positive so much better than the negative. I was really pleased with the way she encouraged the children, even if they gave a wrong answer.)

Up close of Mrs. Haluska with Mackenzie. She loves to sing and she even teaches the kids sign language through the year.

Mackenzie at her desk, ready to begin the day.

The sign in the hallway near the classroom door.
As I dropped Mackenzie off this morning, Mrs. Haluska handed me a poem. I thought that was a neat thing to do! The poem, called "The First Day," is as follows:
I gave you a little wink and smile
As you entered my room today.
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with him for five years now
And have been a loving guide.
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave him at my side.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow
I'll love him as I would my own
And help him learn and grow.
For as a parent, I too know
How quickly the years do pass
And that one day soon it will be my turn
To take my child to class.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more
For I will love him and take him in
When you leave him at my door.
Love,
Mrs. Haluska
A prayer has certainly been answered as we made the transition smoothly, though we'll have more adjusting to do as we get used to the early mornings and full days. I am thankful that Mackenzie's first day went so well. She has more new friends and enjoyed the day. Neither one of us cried at all today. Surprisingly, after my emotional evening last night! All went well, and I am thankful.
Update: As the day progressed, I heard more and more and more about what Mackenzie learned in Kindergarten today. She now knows at least five different things in sign language! She is able to say "I'm thirsty, I need to go to the bathroom, just a moment, yes, and no," all in sign language! I'm impressed. AND, Mrs. Haluska read, "The Kissing Hand," to the class today. Definitely a good first day.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

She looks absolutely precious!!!

BTW- How do you like her carseat? We are saving up to move B to the same one and was curious what you thought about it.

Jill said...

Wow....that poem from your teacher made me cry.....I don't know how you held it together when she handed you that!!! Glad the first day went so well!

Cindy said...

Mackenzie is just beaming in all those pictures. Despite the early time, she looks so excited to head off to school. I hope you guys adjust to early mornings soon. Lauren was up before 7:00 excited to go to Pre K for the first time. Didn't have to wake her up!:)
The poem from Mackenzie's teacher also brought tears to my eyes. She sounds like a wonderful person. It does make it a little easier to leave your baby with someone like that.
Good luck the rest of the week.

Sara said...

Mackenzie looks so cute and just like a school girl! How great to have uniforms to wear everyday. I would LOVE that!! Glad the drop off went smoothly!

Salza Family said...

YAY! Glad the first day went well! It's hard to believe our babies are growing up!

Kim said...

I love the pony tail and jumper-very big girl/student looking!
And that poem! sniff sniff...

Cindy said...

Sounds like a fantastic start! The pictures are just great! Can't wait to see some of Josiah's big day tomorrow! Hang in there, Mommy!