Monday, August 17, 2009

Emotions

Today has been an emotional day. Today is only the beginning of this emotional week. I just tucked my baby girl into bed. Tomorrow I will wake her early for her first day of Kindergarten. We spent a couple hours at the school tonight, visiting with the teacher, meeting other parents and other kindergartners, too. I feel VERY good about the school, the teacher, and the other families involved.

So, where does the emotion come in, you might ask? Sigh. My baby girl has entered another chapter of life. She is growing up. Do I think she's ready? Absolutely. Is she excited? Most certainly. Yet I still feel like I'm losing something as she goes off to school. Control? Perhaps. Influence? A bit. Time with my precious baby? Oh, yes. The time has gone by too quickly in so many ways. Seems like just yesterday when we were bringing her home from the hospital. The time of open hugs, kisses, and affection is at a peak...but I fear that will change all too soon. I just want to treasure every moment with her while she's still "ours" so-to-speak. (Not that she ever was really ours to begin with...she is first and foremost God's child, I realize that.) But it is hard to let go as they grow.

My prayer tonight is that Mackenzie will continue to grow and learn and serve the Lord in all that she does each day. As I tucked her in tonight, I read a book called "The Twelve Gifts of Birth" that David's mom gave to Mackenzie when Mackenzie was born. I cried when Betty gave it to me as Mackenzie was only a newborn and there was a picture of a school bus in the book; I cried tonight as I read it to Mackenzie as that moment has arrived. (Although she won't be in a system that has school buses...that's beside the point.) I then read "Love You Forever," a book that my mom gave to me when David and I got married. I could not make it through the book. Josiah reached up to wipe my tears as I tried to read. Both kids love that book, and I do, too. Precious babies.

And to add to that emotion...Josiah begins Mother's Day Out on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-2. Sigh. That's a whole other ball of emotion. My baby boy! I just can't believe he's big enough to go to "school," too. Actually, I did not think he'd be going, but turns out that there is an opening for him in the same system that Mackenzie will be in...so here he goes! He has an open house tomorrow at 1pm, which David will attend for us as I'll be at work for a half day. Then he goes for his first full day on Thursday. His first day of school EVER. (Insert more tears here.) Sigh. He is very proud that he is big, like Mackenzie, and old enough to go to school, too. He has already seen his classroom and met his teacher. He was quick to spot a train table and cars track. He then looked at me with wide eyes, grew a couple inches taller, and announced that he would get to play with those because this was his classroom! That's my boy. He will do just fine, but his momma's sad that he's getting to be so very big. Seems like just yesterday we were bringing him home from the hospital. My prayer for him is that he will continue to enjoy life, learn, grow, and serve the Lord each day.

My prayer for myself is that I'll survive the chaos and emotions of this week, and that we will all adjust to our new schedules and routines.

Umm. Thanks for listening. :) Come back another day for pictures from Mackenzie's first day and Josiah's first day, too!

7 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

I felt all those emotions every single year for the past 5 yrs. Preschool was a piece of cake compared to real school. I have been emotional as well this week as there are lots of first going on here too. Hope you hold up well this week (and you will, I know). Maybe it will make you feel a little better knowing you aren't the only one dealing with emotions....all the moms are :)

Jennifer said...

Oh, April, HUGS to you! That seems like so far away for me, but I know it will be here before I know it, and likely, before I'm ready! Praying for a smooth week for you!

Sara said...

Been thinking about you as I know this day was approaching! Lots of prayers for all of you this week! xoxo

Sara said...

Wow, April! Reading your blog makes me want to hug Carter a little tighter and spend all day with him in the rocking chair. I know his turn to start school will be here before I'm ready.

Thinking about you this week and praying that it's a wonderfully smooth transition for everyone.

Ginger said...

April- thank you for sharing your emotions. I have been emotional lately too. It is so hard being torn between wanting them to be independant and wanting to keep them "babies." I know Mackenzie and Josiah will both love school and be very, very happy! You and David are amazing parents.

Kim said...

This brought tears to my eyes. You nailed the emotion from a mother's heart. Consider yourself hugged.

Cindy said...

Well written, my friend. It took me two tries to read this, as I got too teary the first time myself! These bittersweet moments are tough, aren't they? But they are all a part of this great circle of life. And while those sweet baby days may be over, there's a whole world of excitement just around the corner. Enjoy!