Monday, August 10, 2009

Homemade Nightgowns!

Her expression this morning made all the effort totally worth it! I loved seeing Mackenzie's face light up when she spotted the completed nightgowns. I made hers yesterday afternoon, and then I made a matching one for her doll after she went to sleep last night. My plan is to make a matching one for myself, too, though that will take a bit more time and has not happened just yet!
Why did I want to do this? Because when I was little my momma made matching night gowns for us...one for her, one for my best friend, and one for me. I LOVED those night gowns. I can still feel the softness of the blue flannel print in my memories. I loved matching my momma. I wanted that memory (or a version of it) for my little girl. Watching Mackenzie swirl and twirl in her gown before going to bed tonight was priceless. It is fun to watch her "feel pretty" in something that I made for her. Is it the prettiest gown ever...no, certainly not. Was it made by the world's finest seamstress...no, definitely not. Was it made with lots and lots of love....absolutely! Am I pleased with the outcome...most certainly! :)

7 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

Very sweet! I remember both my Grandmother and mom sewing matching clothes for me and my dolls :) Very good memories. My Grandmother no longer sews as her eyesight is bad but my mom has been sewing for the girls some....they love anything she makes for them :)

Erika said...

You did such a good job!! She is just beaming with pride! That is awesome!
It always feels so good to create something. I've recently had a new found love for my sewing machine!

Cindy said...

That's a neat story, April. Good job on the nightgowns. I can't wait to see the picture of all 3 of you in them! ;) I enjoy living vicariously through your blog when it comes to daughter things!

Shellie Salza said...

So sweet! What precious memories for you both!

I'm impressed with your skills! Mike is the only one who knows how to operate a sewing machine in our house.

Kennesaw Baumann said...

So sweet!!! I think you did a wonderful job!!! You have just given Mckenzie wonderful memories for the future!!!! What an awesome mom you are......

Kim said...

This is the sweetest thing! And, so beautiful! What a beautiful memory to pass on to your own baby girl! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Adorable!! Good job April!