Thursday, August 20, 2009

Josiah's First Day Ever! (Updated)

Today was the day. I took my baby boy to his first day of "school." (Mother's Day Out). He'll go two days a week from 9am to 2pm. I really think he's going to love it, but I could tell he was a little nervous this morning. Here he is before getting into the van to head to school. He got the two wheeled scooter from my mom and Mark for Mackenzie's birthday (she got one, too), and he loves it! I could not get him off of it for the pictures, so the scooter made the picture, too. ;)
Josiah, his Lightening McQueen backpack, and his scooter.

Josiah


I tried to get a picture of him standing in the kitchen just before we left for school, but he would not stand still! He was literally jumping up and down, so this is the best one I got! :)

In his classroom (3's) attempting to get his backpack onto the hook with his name.

Mackenzie stepping in to help get the heavy backpack, full of school supplies, onto the hook.

Josiah at his desk, with his supplies, ready to begin the day!

Josiah about to open his supply box and looking a little nervous. (There were a lot of other kids crying as their parents were trying to leave, so he was looking around skeptically, and rightly so!)

He decided he was just fine and began coloring his picture.

He was incredibly focused on coloring! (I, meanwhile, was still in the room as I was waiting for the teacher to be free long enough for me to snap a picture of him with her.)

Here's Mrs. Missi with Josiah, who continued coloring instead of looking up for the picture! He really was focused. I think he was ready for the other kids to calm down and join him at the table area. He was quickly picking up on the other children's names. He will make lots of new friends, and fast, I'm sure!

Here's the sign outside his classroom door.
Today was a huge milestone for Josiah, and I am very proud of him! We all did just fine. Mackenzie and I both gave him a hug and a kiss on the head as we headed out of the room. I thought that was sweet! I think he's proud to be in school. My prayer is that he has a wonderful experience as I believe it sets the tone for education in general. I'll be eager to see how his first day goes, and I'll update the blog later!
Update: Josiah did, indeed, have fun at school today. He was quick to tell us about getting to play on the playground at recess, and he loved getting to paint his hand today! They helped him put paint on his hand and make a hand print on a piece of paper. They put a poem on the paper beside his hand print:
It's my first day of school
And "The Kissing Hand" is what we read.
It's about a raccoon
Who did just as his parents said.
Like the raccoon's first day at school
I was scared and a little shy.
But because of what you said
I was brave and I got by.
All through the year
I'll make more things for you.
So as I change and as I learn
You can see my growth, too!
I thought that was cute and sweet, too. Somehow, I don't think he was that scared or that shy, but he certainly was brave! I love his hand print. Anyways, he seemed to really enjoy the day. I think it helped a ton that he had walked Mackenzie into her MDO classroom so many times. He had watched her sit down and begin her work. He knew what to do today and was ready for his turn! Just wanted to give you the update! :)

5 comments:

Ginger said...

I love the pictures of Josiah and his scooter. He looks so big standing there!! I'm so glad his first day went smoothly. I recognize the "nervous look" very well! Ryan and Will had the very same nervous look. It is hard to make such a big transition, but then they learn to love it!

TexasNeals said...

what a sweet boy. i can tell that he is just as sweet as suger. i know both of your kiddos will have a wonderful year. i know it's a tough week for you. when my friend dropped her little boy off for his first day of kindergarten there was a sigh that said:
parents of kindergarteners-
donuts and tissues in the library.
it is another chapter. and that's always going to twinge at our hearts a bit b/c means they are getting bigger (despite all our efforts to convince them not to!!!:). just think about how exciting the first week of school was! they are going to have so much fun! :)
i'll keep you in my prayers this week. april, you are such a sweet momma! ;)

Cindy said...

That Josiah...so cute! If Sam had seen his scooter handy, he would've wanted a picture with it too! They're so funny. Looks like Josiah is right at home...and his coloring is amazing! Really good!!!

Cindy said...

I love the picture of Josiah in the kitchen! That's such a cute little face. Glad he was so excited. He sure is a big boy! I love the poems your children are getting at school. They make me tear up, though.
I loved reading about both kids first days of school. They are indeed sweet children!

Anonymous said...

Awesome for Josiah!! I'm so glad he had a great first day :)